BIOS updates - request

• For the official hardware:
    Since the pfSense "System Information" widget under "System" pulls the hardware Model and Serial number…

For a future release would Devs consider pulling the BIOS level for display and also giving an update dialog such as main application gives under "Version" when a newer version is available?

Rick

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

We talked about this last week and we're considering adding it in for the models that support pulling the info easily.

• @jimp:

We talked about this last week and we're considering adding it in for the models that support pulling the info easily.

Jim,
    As usual, you guys are ahead of the curve…

I don't foresee the launch of the update from the dashboard due to the need of a physical presence to complete the update, but the notification would be welcomed... Perhaps just a link to the most current set of update instructions.

Thanks,
    Rick

BTW: old guy with old eyes complaint.  On the bios update page for the 4860, https://www.netgate.com/docs/sg-4860/adi-bios-flash.html
    can someone fix the fonts on Part 3.  its no big deal if you are going to cut/paste into a term session, but the light grey on white font is really hard to read.

• Jim, the new BIOS identifier feature under 2.3.4 for the SG-4860 is a nice thing to have at your finger tips.  My thanks to whoever coded that!!
    Is there (or will there be) an available update feature as well?

Vendor: coreboot
    Version: ADI_RCCVE-01.00.00.12-nodebug
    Release Date: 02/07/2017

There is a BIOS updater for (most of) the ADI units under packages.

• Yes, thanks.  I have the Coreboot Upgrade package.

I guess what I was wondering is if an available update notifier was part of the BIOS component of the dashboard as there is for the Version when a new release of pfSense is available?

AFAIK we don't notify when there is a BIOS update yet. Not sure if we have plans to. The BIOS update package will show an update available when we push out a new version, but that doesn't trigger a notification. It would show on the dashboard if you add the packages widget, however.

• Adding my vote for a "newer version available" message flag in the BIOS section.