Wan Options for Difficult Install
I'm writing because I need some advice. I'm in an environment where a direct connection between the modem and the PFSense router isn't possible. I've got a few options each with their own drawbacks and I wanted to run them by you for advice:
1. (Current Setup) - Powerline AV system. I'm using this and its "ok" but its not reliable and the speed isn't where I want it to be. I pay for a 150mbps connection but only get 30-50mbps
2. Wireless USB dongle connected to an available wireless connection from the modem. This is good, but the dongle I have is the TL-WN725N which works but only at a G level and I can only get speeds of 66% of what the powerline system has (20 mbps)
3. buy a new wireless USB - but I need to know which one is supported by FreeBSD/PFSense and recognizes Wireless N capabilities and get a minimum transfer rate of 100 mbps
4. setup current USB dongle through a raspberry pi and setup a wireless to wired bridge
5. use LAGG or some other combination of wireless and wired to combine the interfaces for speed
Please let me know your thoughts
6. Buy 2 wireless point-to-point transceivers. (example: ubiquity nanostations)
Then you Connect both pfsense & modem by wire to the transceivers
wow, the nanostation. I didn't even consider that (although I had considered a wireless point to point). now I just have to convince my wife that the cost is justified! haha. Would you suggest this: "Ubiquiti Nanostation Nsm365 Wireless Bridge - 2 X Network [rj-45]" (https://www.amazon.ca/Ubiquiti-Nanostation-Nsm365-Wireless-Bridge/dp/B00OX551JS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491592585&sr=1-3&keywords=nanostation) as found on amazon.ca to be sufficient? For the record I have the Unifi access point and love all Ubiquiti gear.
Afaik, all nsm devices need a license/registration to allow broadcasting on them frequencies. (might be different depending on country)
The ones using the default WiFi frequencies(2.4 & 5ghz) are free to use without any hassle.
"I pay for a 150mbps connection but only get 30-50mbps"
So your saying wired to the powerline adapters you only see 50mbps.. But if wired to pfsense directly or with normal switch you see your full bandwidth? Or when connected to the modem you see full but pfsense is downstream of your modem via powerline? Can you draw up the constraints your working with.. Why exactly can you not run a wire from the modem to the rest of your network? What powerline adapters are you currently using.. They are not all created equal that is for sure..
"buy a new wireless USB"
Usb is just going to be crap.. I wouldn't even consider this as an option..
"use LAGG or some other combination of wireless and wired to combine the interfaces for speed"
Not sure where you get the idea that lagg will give you more speed? 1+1 = 1+1 it does not = 2 in lagg.. So while you could load share across the lag. A single client is not going to see any sort of speed increase.