Mellanox ConnectX-2 Card Install

• Hi!

Let me start by saying that if you have any patience left in this day, I'm gonna need it. :-)

I don't know much about Linux, and don't know jack about BSD. What I do know is Pfsense runs on it, so here we go.

I have downloaded the driver for the Mellanox card, put it in the home directory, and untarred it. Make? I'm lucky if I can make a burp after 3 beers and a bowl of chili. I have no idea how to install this. Everything I find is so high level is just breezes right over the part I'm missing. How to install this into PfSense. This one is my favorite. "Do the usual Make && Make Install". https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/272329/pfsense-with-mellanox-connectx-2-10gbit-nics

My problem is I don't know what the "usual" one is, or the special one, or the double secret one. What I do know is the card is installed in the box. It works, because I tested it with Windows 10. Whether or not it's going to work with Pfsense you'll have to tell me, because I haven't the faintest idea. What I do know is there's a BSD 10.3 driver for it, but it's apparently not enabled in Pfsense.

So my question is, assuming I'm the biggest BSD dummy on the planet, and that's highly probable, how do I get this into Pfsense so it will detect it as a lan interface?

Thanks!

• Netgate Administrator

You will have to download and build the drivers in FreeBSD 10.3 then copy the kernel modules across to pfSense. There are no build tools in pfSense so you can't build it directly there.

I would start by generating a FreeBSD VM to build in for the version you need, 10.3 for pfSense 2.3.X or 11 for 2.4.

Steve