2.3.3-RELEASE-p1, "Unable to check for updates"

• Hi!

I'm running 2.3.3-RELEASE-p1 and I'm receiving the error "Unable to check for updates".  On System -> Update -> Update System the Current Base System and Latest Base System are both blank.

Reading earlier forum posts, I can resolve DNS addresses using Diagnostics -> DNS Lookup.  The command "pkg update -f" returns "Child process pid=7286 terminated abnormally: Segmentation fault".

Hardware is Netgate SG-2440.

The system has run for 1+ year and repeatedly updated successfully using the dashboard.

Any tips / suggestions?

Thanks!

• A more general reflexion : only packages (hence that why you posted in the package forum)
    or is pfSence not updating nothing, including itself ?

@garyn:

I'm running 2.3.3-RELEASE-p1 and I'm receiving the error "Unable to check for updates".  On System -> Update -> Update System the Current Base System and Latest Base System are both blank.

pfSense can't connect by itself to the net, that one problem … many threads about that issue.
    But that it can't detect what it's current (own) version is .... wow .....

Consider it brain damaged.
    I vote for a re install.

• Hi Bismark!

I appreciate the reply and I have read the thread that you pointed to several times.  Could you provide just a little bit more verbiage about what actions I need to to take?  I attempted to download pkg-1.10.1-b9adc75209.txz, but failed.  Sorry, pfsense has worked so well that I'm still pretty much a novice for flying manually.

Thanks!

• Login via ssh and go to the Shell:

pkg-static install -f pkg

if pkg still throw a sqlite error about wrong version, you need to fix it first:

pkg shell
    CREATE VIRTUAL TABLE pkg_search USING fts4(id, name, origin);
    pragma user_version=33;

if not just skip this step and update from cli with option 13.

Good luck.

• Hi Bismark!

Thank you for the explanation.  From the shell I'm getting the following error: 
    Child process pid=21815 terminated abnormally: Segmentation fault

Screen shot is attached.  I'm not seeing the image posted into this message.

• Another screen shot:

• @garyn:

Child process pid=21815 terminated abnormally: Segmentation fault

Re install.
    Also : check your hardware.

• @garyn:

Another screen shot:

This looks bad, backup your config.xml and re-install.

• Banned

I have been searching for a fix to this as well.  I have very similar symptoms (at the update screen level anyway), a little different hardware though (Protectli Vault, which I think is similar other than the CPU to a SG-2440).

When I try an update though, I get connection refused errors…I can resolve hosts fine from the shell, so I don't think it's DNS, and I have no proxy or anything configured between it and the Internet.

Updating pfSense-core repository catalogue...
    repository pfSense-core has no meta file, using default settings
    Unable to update repository pfSense-core
    Updating pfSense repository catalogue...
    repository pfSense has no meta file, using default settings
    Unable to update repository pfSense
    pkg: https://pkg.pfsense.org/pfSense_v2_3_3_amd64-core/meta.txz: Connection refused
    repository pfSense-core has no meta file, using default settings
    pkg: https://pkg.pfsense.org/pfSense_v2_3_3_amd64-core/packagesite.txz: Connection refused
    Unable to update repository pfSense-core
    Updating pfSense repository catalogue...
    pkg: https://pkg.pfsense.org/pfSense_v2_3_3_amd64-pfSense_v2_3_3/meta.txz: Connection refused
    repository pfSense has no meta file, using default settings
    pkg: https://pkg.pfsense.org/pfSense_v2_3_3_amd64-pfSense_v2_3_3/packagesite.txz: Connection refused
    Unable to update repository pfSense
    All repositories are up-to-date.
    pkg: Repository pfSense-core cannot be opened. 'pkg update' required
    pkg: Repository pfSense cannot be opened. 'pkg update' required
    Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
    Your packages are up to date.

Sounds like a reinstall may be needed for me?

@garyn did you resolve your problem?

Thank you!

• I have the same issue.

pkg update
    pkg: Repository pfSense-core has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database
    Fetching meta.txz: 100%    944 B   0.9kB/s    00:01    
    Child process pid=80643 terminated abnormally: Segmentation fault

Web GUI says "Unable to check for updates".