SW RAID-1, gmirror, missing files …



  • Ok, Ok, HW RAID is better. But not always available (nor in "good" HW).

    Probably SW RAID-1 isn't ufficially supported, but it is so simple to implement, so cheap and so useful that IMHO can be un-officially supported as in 1.2 ;-)

    In 1.2  I search a solution and the simplest that I find was:


    List:      pfsense-support
    Subject:    Re: [pfSense Support] Raid disks
    From:      "Guilherme Oliveira" <guilherme.oliveira ()="" gmail="" !="" com="">>>>> Date:      2006-04-19 16:22:13

    You are right. Hardware is best.

    Anyway the configuration is here if anyone wants:

    sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16

    gmirror label -v -b round-robin gm0 /dev/da0

    echo geom_mirror_load="YES" > /boot/loader.conf

    Next in /etc/fstab change everything that has "da0" to "/mirror/gm0"
    like "/dev/da0s1a" to "/dev/mirror/gm0s1a"

    Next: reboot

    gmirror insert gm0 /dev/da1

    gmirror status

    … and see the raid syncronization ;-)

    Works like a charm ;-)

    But, If I try with a fresh 1.2.1 or in a 1.2 updated to 1.2.1, not work :-(

    I have found that the problem is related to 1.2.1 that have FreeBSD 7.0's /lib/geom "reduced"
    In /lib/geom I have only:

    ls -la /lib/geom/

    total 106
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel    512 Oct 27 01:08 .
    dr-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  1024 Oct 27 01:07 ..
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16576 Oct 27 00:33 geom_cache.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  17820 Oct 27 00:33 geom_journal.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  12632 Oct 27 00:33 geom_label.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  11464 Oct 27 00:33 geom_multipath.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16760 Oct 27 00:33 geom_part.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  22208 Oct 27 00:33 geom_virstor.so

    Seems Sullrich & c. "lost" some pieces ... ;-)
    So upgrading from 1.2 (6.2) to 1.2.1 (7.0), we have mixed 6.x/7.0 files.
    Installing a fresh 1.2.1 some files are missing ;-)
    I have fetched a vmware image of FreeBSD 7.0, copied the /lib/geom/

    ls -la /lib/geom/

    total 274
    dr-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel    512 Oct 28 17:32 .
    dr-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  1024 Oct 27 01:07 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel    512 Oct 28 17:32 0
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16584 Oct 28 17:30 geom_cache.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16032 Oct 28 17:30 geom_concat.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  51964 Oct 28 17:30 geom_eli.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  20188 Oct 28 17:30 geom_journal.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  12892 Oct 28 17:30 geom_label.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  25856 Oct 28 17:30 geom_mirror.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  11724 Oct 28 17:30 geom_multipath.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  11376 Oct 28 17:30 geom_nop.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16760 Oct 28 17:30 geom_part.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  20856 Oct 28 17:30 geom_raid3.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  15484 Oct 28 17:30 geom_shsec.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  16184 Oct 28 17:30 geom_stripe.so
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  25028 Oct 28 17:30 geom_virstor.so

    Followed the reported instrucions and all seems works as expected. I am now
    rebuilding the mirror:

    gmirror status

    Name    Status  Components
    mirror/gm0  DEGRADED  ad4
                          ad6 (25%)

    IMHO, can be a good idea to reintroduce the missing files into the 1.2.1 release (also 1.3 branch seems have the same "problem") ;-)
    Hope this can be useful ... ;-)

    Regards, Paolo Andretta</guilherme.oliveira>



  • Should be fixed in next snapshot.


Locked