System requirements gigabit throughput

• Hello everyone,

We are hosting LAN partys in sweden and have upgraded our wan access.
    Our WAN access from the isp should be 1000/1000Mbit but it seems that our gateway is not strong enought to handle the trafik.

AMD 1,7Ghz
    768MB RAM
    80Gb s-ata hd
    2xgigabit Intel nic (simular to d-link DGE-530T)
    pfsense 1.3 and 2.0 (2 different harddrives)

We done alot of testning but can only get 97,6/96Mbit throughput or 108Mbit halfduplex.
    We thought the isp didn't deliverd what was told so we connected 1 pc as "ISP" with a gigabit nic and one pc as a "client" with gigabit nic on the lan side but still no difference.

Max usage of memory was 117MB ram and barley no swap was used. But the processor was working att 87% at that "high" throughput.

So my question for all of you that got more experiense than me.
    What kind of hardware requirements are neccesery to get 400/1000Mbit throughput?

I realy hope someone could help me asap.

Best Regards
    Percy
    www.askersundslan.com

Ps. it's about 80-200 clients accessing the internet through the gateway. Ds.

• @http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=49:

201-500 Mbps - server class hardware with PCI-X or PCI-e network adapters, or newer desktop hardware with PCI-e network adapters. No less than 2.0 GHz CPU.
    501+ Mbps - server class hardware with PCI-X or PCI-e network adapters. No less than 3.0 GHz CPU.

• Thanx Perry for your quick reply.
    Thought i search all the forum and wiki for this question but oblesvliy i missed it anyway.
    Anyhow thank you verry mush for the reply.

Seems like we have to buy som new hardware.

• @Askersundslan:

Thought i search all the forum and wiki for this question but oblesvliy i missed it anyway.

It's on the pfSense web site and not in the forum or wiki.
    Here's the link, Perry's quote originates from:
    http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=49