SG-1000 MICROFIREWALL

• Re: SG-1000 MICROFIREWALL SECURITY APPLIANCE

Hi
    I'm thinking of purchasing the SG-1000 can you advise if this is a full pfSense firewall and if it will be suitable for my requirements.

We have a 80\20Mbps fibre connection which currently supports around 6-10 devices. Laptops, mobiles, TV's, set top boxes etc.

We plan to add a wireless access point to the LAN port, this includes a 4 port switch from which some of the devices will connect.

Will this unit support these devices and speed of connection ?
    We would also like to add an openVPN connection and route the traffic out via that. The VPN needs to support approx 50\10Mbps.

Will this unit be powerful enough for our requirements ?

Thanks

• @TomT:

Re: SG-1000 MICROFIREWALL SECURITY APPLIANCE

Hi
    I'm thinking of purchasing the SG-1000 can you advise if this is a full pfSense firewall and if it will be suitable for my requirements.

We have a 80\20Mbps fibre connection which currently supports around 6-10 devices. Laptops, mobiles, TV's, set top boxes etc.

We plan to add a wireless access point to the LAN port, this includes a 4 port switch from which some of the devices will connect.

Will this unit support these devices and speed of connection ?
    We would also like to add an openVPN connection and route the traffic out via that. The VPN needs to support approx 50\10Mbps.

Will this unit be powerful enough for our requirements ?

Thanks

You won't get 50/10Mbps VPN out of the SG-1000, at least not now.  When pfSense 2.5 comes out with support for the hardware accelerator, you will see better results.  Right now, it can do 10/10Mbps VPN at best.  I think Netgate is releasing a dual-core ARM router which will do better, but you're probably better off with an Intel box.

• Thanks.  Can you advise which box will be better for our needs ?

• @TomT:

Thanks.  Can you advise which box will be better for our needs ?

The SG-2220 would be better or another option is the i3 version of the Qotom mini pc.  Check out the hardware section on the forum.