Newbie: Forward a Single Port Over Tunnel, Linux Host on the Other Side

• I've got my own client/server TCP application.  It's not clear to me how I set up an encrypted tunnel for a single port within PFSense.  My goal is to be able to have a port on the firewall that forwards tcp traffic over an encrypted tunnel.  All other traffic should stay off the tunnel.  Per the title, the other end is a Linux host.

I've done this in the past with stunnel between two hosts, but I'm getting some political pressure to "use a vpn."  ::)

There are a few too many options under VPN.  I need help picking the right tool for the job.  I can figure it out from there.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi,

With IPsec the easiest solution is filter by port in transport mode. A Linux host with Strongswan or Libreswan supports it. However I think the Pfsense GUI doesn't support that setting yet (I would need it also).
    So you could create a GRE tunnel over an IPsec tunnel and forward that port to/from the GRE tunnel interface. For example with a rule in your LAN which that remote port would translated (NAT) to the GRE tunnel IP.