Pfsense Damaged: module 'Pkg'? During dnsmasq update

• Rebel Alliance

I just tried to patch the dnsmasq bug, via the Diagnostics/Command Prompt route:

pkg upgrade dnsmasq

Something crashed, I tried to check the status and get a message that:

libssl.so.8 not found, required by pkg

What,s the best course of action?

I have a backup, somewhere, and cannot connect to the GUI after a reboot. Internet access is still working, but not sure of the integrity of the install.

Will an upgrade to 2.4.0 fix everything, or fail mid-progress?

Many thanks.

• Rebel Alliance

Definitely locked out of GUI - despite another reboot.

VPN not working, but still have internet.

Backup was made before my last major changes - so can I repair this via the console, or is it a full install?

• Can try and fix things from console.

pkg-static upgrade -f

But a reinstall might be quicker.

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

If you want to upgrade to 2.4, then using pfSense-upgrade from the console should work OK, even with that error. If not, run "pkg-static upgrade -yf pfSense-upgrade" and then run pfSense-upgrade again.

If you want to stay on 2.3.x, go to System > Update, Update Settings, set the option to stay on the 2.3.x security/errata branch, and then reinstall pkg:

pkg-static install -f pkg

• Rebel Alliance

Thanks @PiBa & @jimp

I have tried pfSense-upgrade from the console, and get multiple errors about missing (library) files. In fact every menu option I try from the console bounces back after a page of errors.

I will complete a fresh install, but before I do - which directories & files should I copy to USB to attempt to recover some of my newer settings that are not backed up. I really need the latest aliases, firewall rules and Static DHCP reservations (about 100).

The pfsense box is now offline, while I fix this, with a temporary router in place.

Many thanks

• @awair:

…. will complete a fresh install, but before I do - which directories & files should I copy to USB to attempt to recover some of my newer settings that are not backed up. I really need the latest aliases, firewall rules and Static DHCP reservations (about 100).

If you can access this directory : /cf/conf then save this file config.xml.
    Everything (except RRD data) is in there.

• Rebel Alliance

Thanks very much @Gertjan.

I managed to save the file to USB, and to my delight the new installer also offered to pick this up and automatically restored my new 2.4 install.