SG-8860 & SG-4860 Not upgrading to 2.4 stuck on 2.3.4



  • I have two devices that are not upgrading to 2.4.

    The SG-8860 & SG-4860 are currently on 2.3.4-RELEASE (amd64).

    the are now stuck on "Unable to check for updates"

    I have 4 other SG-4860 that went to  2.4.1 no problem.

    Can anyone suggest what I need to do to get these up to 2.4.1?


  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    First, just run pfSense-upgrade from the console or ssh shell (or use menu option 13). That should do the right thing even when the GUI won't find the update.

    If that doesn't work, then visit System > Update, Update Settings tab. Make sure they are set for Stable. If they are, you might try setting them to one of the development branches, then check for updates, and then switch back to Stable and try again.

    If that still doesn't work, set them to stable and run these commands:

    pkg-static clean -ay
    pkg-static install -f pkg pfSense-repo pfSense-upgrade
    

    And then check for updates again.



  • Sorry for the late response, for some reason I wasn't emailed.  So a stupid question here,  in console when I run the commands you gave me  how do I confirm yes?  When it asks me if i want to upgrade?



  • Try hitting 'y' and enter.


  • LAYER 8 Netgate

    Generally adding a -y in the correct place does that automatically.

    pkg-static install -yf pkg pfSense-repo pfSense-upgrade



  • So I ran the commands on both of the devices and I get this but nothing else happens

    
    Updating pfSense-core repository catalogue...
    pfSense-core repository is up to date.
    Updating pfSense repository catalogue...
    pfSense repository is up to date.
    All repositories are up to date.
    The following 3 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):
    
    Installed packages to be REINSTALLED:
    	pkg-1.10.1_1 [pfSense]
    	pfSense-repo-2.4.2_1 [pfSense]
    	pfSense-upgrade-0.40 [pfSense]
    
    Number of packages to be reinstalled: 3
    
    3 MiB to be downloaded.
    [1/3] Fetching pkg-1.10.1_1.txz: .......... done
    [2/3] Fetching pfSense-repo-2.4.2_1.txz: . done
    [3/3] Fetching pfSense-upgrade-0.40.txz: .. done
    Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
    [1/3] Reinstalling pfSense-upgrade-0.40...
    [1/3] Extracting pfSense-upgrade-0.40: ..... done
    [2/3] Reinstalling pkg-1.10.1_1...
    [2/3] Extracting pkg-1.10.1_1: .......... done
    You may need to manually remove /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf if it is no longer needed.
    [3/3] Reinstalling pfSense-repo-2.4.2_1...
    Extracting pfSense-repo-2.4.2_1: .......... done
    
    

  • LAYER 8 Netgate

    Did that fix the ability to upgrade?

    If not, manually set the Update branch to "Security/Errata" and run those commands again.



  • No it didn't. Went back to system upgrade still nothing.


  • LAYER 8 Netgate

    Sorry - edited did you try that second bit ^?



  • No, I have not tried the second part. I will try that first thing in the morning. Thank you for your help!


  • LAYER 8 Netgate

    You might also try running these if that doesn't work:

    pkg-static clean -ya
    pkg-static install -yf pkg pfSense-repo pfSense-upgrade



  • Doing the

    manually set the Update branch to "Security/Errata" and run those commands again

    did the trick

    pkg-static clean -ay
    pkg-static install -yf pkg pfSense-repo pfSense-upgrade
    

    I was able to to go to 2.3.5 with that, then switch back to stable 2.4 but it said 2.3.5 was the current,  it took a few browser refreshes for it to change to 2.4.2.

    Thank you, I'm current!



  • Thank you!

    Accidentally had Stable (2.4) set as the target while upgrading from an older 2.3.X release.

    Had to run the pkg-static clean / install commands to get things back on track from a partial 2.3.2 -> 2.4.X upgrade attempt in console.

    I rebooted after switching the update branch to "Security/Errata" to get to latest 2.3.X, and ran the update in the console and was able to get to the latest 2.3.5.  Then switched back to Stable update branch, before finally upgrading to the latest 2.4.

    A reboot between setting the update branch each time seemed to help, but maybe wasn't needed.


Log in to reply