2.4.3 iOS Client Fails on AES-NI Active, but Works with AES Off



  • I started this post https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=146696.0
    but changed to new post because I've narrowed down what appears to be a significant observation.

    History:
    I've had AES-NI CPU Crypto: Yes (active) and never had a problem with IPsec clients.
    I updated pfSense to 2.4.3-RELEASE and FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p7
    I started having VPN connection problems from iOS (but MacOS was fine). See post https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=146696.0

    Today I set System->Advanced->Misc->Cryptographic Hardware = None and rebooted.
    Now every device connects to VPN again!

    Additional Information:
    As mentioned, the MacOS clients always connected and the iOS clients would randomly connect (but not often).
    The iOS clients would authenticate then (from log) "reinitiating already active tasks" and run the "XAUTH task" again which caused the client to disconnect. (See other post above for logs.)
    I tried the patch fad13c4142bba5c24e2a1d4739d46a5ff9c7ed19 but it didn't make any obvious difference.



  • Switched to IKEv2, set AES-NI CPU Crypto: Yes (active) and all is good.
    Encryption: IKE:AES_GCM_16_256/PRF_HMAC_SHA2_256/ECP_384