SG-2220: horribly slow upload speed

• I have just upgraded to fiber, symmetric 1 Gbit down/up. The provider (Swisscom) delivers an integrated modem/router, which however has only rudimentary firewall/routing capacity. If I connect my LAN directly to the Swisscom modem, I get actual speeds of 700-800 Mbit/s both upload and download.

I have then connected the modem to the WAN port of my pfSense SG-2220 unit, and set the model to "DMZ mode", which means that all ports are passed to the pfSense without NAT. Now I get 550-600 MBit/s download (which is OK), but only a meager 8-9 Mbit/s upload (which is totally unacceptable). Might somebody give me a hint as to what might be going wrong here? Thanks in advance!

• Netgate

I would look first for a duplex mismatch on the ethernet - such as the upstream device being half-duplex and the WAN interface being full-duplex.

• Thanks. However the pfSense interface is set to "autoselect", and the modem interface does not seem to have any user-modifiable option. The pfSense dashboard says "1000baseT <full-duplex>", hence I assume that the result of the negotiation is correct.</full-duplex>

• Netgate

Then I would pcap and see what that shows. The 2220 is obviously capable of more than that.

• @aagaag:

I have just upgraded to fiber, symmetric 1 Gbit down/up. The provider (Swisscom) delivers an integrated modem/router, which however has only rudimentary firewall/routing capacity. If I connect my LAN directly to the Swisscom modem, I get actual speeds of 700-800 Mbit/s both upload and download.

I have then connected the modem to the WAN port of my pfSense SG-2220 unit, and set the model to "DMZ mode", which means that all ports are passed to the pfSense without NAT. Now I get 550-600 MBit/s download (which is OK), but only a meager 8-9 Mbit/s upload (which is totally unacceptable). Might somebody give me a hint as to what might be going wrong here? Thanks in advance!

did you use a traffic shaper and forget to revoke the limiters, or bandwidth limits?

• There appear to be no limiters active. However, I suspect that something else in the config may be wrong. In the meantime, I have confirmed 100% that the SG is the bottleneck, as the upload limit is in place even if I attach a laptop directly to the LAN port (no switches or any other equipment in-between).

Can you tell me what is the fastest way to factory-reset the SG? Do I really have to reload an image from a USB-stick, or is there a more convenient thing to do? I guess that this is the next step to figure out whether something is bad in the config.

• Netgate

Take a backup then Diagnostics > Factory Defaults

• Thank you. I did as you advised. The good news is that, with a bare-bones config without any rules, I get 800 Mbit/s down and 600-650 Mbit/s up! Hence there is something in the config that is badly messed up. I am currently restoring the config piece-by-piece, always measuring the throughput after each step. Will report.

The bad news is that I was horrified to discover that I have found no way to restore the certificate stores. Is that a fact, or am I overseeing something? Reentering all the certificates is only slightly more pleasurable than being waterboarded!

• Netgate

See if they go in with the System area.

If you get to finding what the issue actually was, you can just restore the whole thing and undo that piece.

• This feels like a smack traffic shaper issue, maybe obliterate that and only that see what happens?