PFsense with Syswan SW88 Multi Wan Router in front

• Hello, I'm planning in Installation with seven 16000 DSL Lines. It's important that I can use Squid and Snort  and probably Captive Portal on my Pfsense Box. So doing the Multi WAN Load Balancing/Failover Stuff on the Pfsense Box is no option. So I searched the Internet and  found this Syswan Router for about 650 Bugs with up to 8! Wan Ports. The most Solutions I found only have 4 Ports for Wan or are much much more expensive. The Solution should look like this:

Modem        Modem        Modem        Modem        Modem          Modem          Modem
          |              |                |                    |                |                |                |
          |              |                |                    |                |                |                |
          –-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                      Syswan SW 88
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                                  |  DMZ
                                                                  |
                                            PFsense Box (Captive Portal, Proxy, IDS)
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                            Local Lan

Has someone running a similar solution running doing Dual or Multi Wan on an other Box. I appreciate any hint and tip for setting up such a solution.

• You would be far better served to use pfSense as your router/firewall, and offload snort and squid to separate boxes.

• Yeah this was my first thought too.
    If you're already going to have 2 boxes, why not 2x pfSense?
    Or pfSense for loadbalancing and another system for snort/squid if you cannot get it to run on pfsense.

• Hello, I only got an small IBM ThinkCenter as pfsense box and I have to connect seven DSL Modems to it. But I only got one nic for my internal and one for my wan. Is it possible to connect the modems to a switch wich supports vlan?

• yes they just need to have a different gateways
    http://pfsense.site88.net/mysetup/index.html

• Yes.
    Or if the modems are in NAT/routing mode you could even have all their LANs in a single subnet and modify the config.xml manually so you balance between the LAN-IP's of the modems.
    –> Different gateways as perry said.

[WAN]          [WAN]         [WAN]          [WAN]          [WAN]          [WAN]           [WAN]
      Modem         Modem         Modem         Modem         Modem          Modem          Modem
           |      172.17.10.2/24      |         172.17.10.4/24         |        172.17.10.6/24      |
      [LAN]           [LAN]          [LAN]              [LAN]          [LAN]            [LAN]          [LAN]
    172.17.10.1/24   |        172.17.10.3/24         |       172.17.10.5/24       |          172.17.10.7/24
           |               |                |                    |                 |                |                 |
           |               |                |                    |                 |                |                 |
           –-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                              switch
                                                                  |                   
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                    [WAN] 172.17.10.100/24
                                                             pfSense
                                                      [LAN] 10.0.0.1/24
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                                  |
                                                               clients

• The problem I've got is that I can't enable dmz on the cheap modem routers from the provider or can I forward all ports 1-65535 tcp/udp to the pfsense box?

• @dschmid:

Or can I forward all ports 1-65535 tcp/udp to the pfsense box?

Yes.
    I have to do that on my modem at home too because it's a piece of shit (never came around to buy a better modem ^^" )

• OK I try this this weekend. Thank you very much.

• Sorry I forgot to ask how to insert the different gateways into the config.xml and activate Load Balancing.

• 1: Create a balancing pool and add a dummy-entry.
    2: Download the config.xml and find the part with the info you add.
    3: Copy/Paste your dummy entry and fill in the real gateway/monitor IPs.

As monitoring IP use one of the immediate hops on your ISP's side.
    You cannot have the same monitoring IP for different WANs.

4: Restore the config.xml.

Now your manually added infos should show up.