Replaced Modem, No Longer Acquiring IPv6 Address



  • Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out with this situation... I've been going nuts trying to find a solution to my problem:

    I just replaced my cable modem, which was previously an SB6121 with an MB8600. I set up my instance of pfSense with the SB6121 and I had IPv6 working fine. I would acquire an address on my WAN interface and it was fine.

    Now, I changed over to the MB8600. I can get a v4 address but now I can't get a v6 address. I've been all over trying whatever I can and nothing has yet to yield any positive result. It's driving me nuts!

    My cable provider is Comcast.

    Can someone help me out with this? Thanks



  • This is what I can see in the logs regarding the events going on:

    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <3>end of sentence [;] (1)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <3>comment [# we'd like some nameservers please] (35)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <3>end of closure [}] (1)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <3>end of sentence [;] (1)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <3>[id-assoc] (8)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <13>[na] (2)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <13>[0] (1)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <13>begin of closure [{] (1)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <3>end of closure [}] (1)
    Jun 25 13:34:29 dhcp6c 93258 <3>end of sentence [;] (1)

    I have no clue what's going on at this point, is there a way I can reset whatever it is caching or doing?



  • Bear with me on this, I'm new to pfSense and this was so confusing and tricky but I was able to at least temporarily set things right with my issue...

    I'm hoping someone might be able to correct me on what happened here because I'm not even sure if my work here is a solution to the problem or not, but I was able to finally get a v6 address assigned and I can ping ipv6.google.com.

    What I did was this:

    1. vi /var/etc/dhcp6c_wan.conf
    2. Commented out this line: send ia-pd 0; request prefix delegation
    3. Issue command dhcp6c -c /var/etc/dhcp6c_wan.conf -d em0

    Hopefully this is helpful, at least I can refer to it again once I have my forced appointment with a comcast technician to have gigabit Internet working and the problem happens again.