*BUG* Arpwatch / Status_Traffic_Totals - Incorrect Error Message

  • Arpwatch keeps sending these error emails every 5 minutes.

    router - Arpwatch Notification : Cron <root@CPExxxxxx> /usr/local/bin/vnstat -u
    X-Cron-Env: <SHELL=/bin/sh>
    X-Cron-Env: <PATH=/etc:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin>
    X-Cron-Env: <HOME=/root>
    X-Cron-Env: <LOGNAME=root>
    X-Cron-Env: <USER=root>
    Error: Database load failed even when using backup (No such file or directory). Aborting.

    Have I done something wrong, or missed something with the setup?

    Other than these messages the package seems to be working-I get appropriate emails as hosts are discovered.

    The database seems to be being populated appropriately, and a lot of the manufacturer names are being filled in correctly, but there are some entries where the vendor is UNKNOWN.

    Any assistance would be much appreciated.


    (Post Title Has been changed to reflect this update.)
    I turned off arpwatch, and the error messages kept being generated, so I did some poking around.

    When I reset the graphing totals on Status /Traffic Totals the email stopped. So the problem appears to have been in whatever package that generates this cron entry:

    */5 	* 	* 	* 	* 	root 	/usr/local/bin/vnstat -u

    not putting a correct subject on it's error message emails. The label Arpwatch Notification : is not correct.

    My pfSense appears to be oprating correctly now that I cleared the graphing data, and I suspect the issue might have been created by updating NTOPNG . (I installed arpwatch and updated ntopng at the same time.)

    I suspect that a bug report should be filed, but I'm unclear about exactly what is going on and how to file the report correctly.

Log in to reply