Best Processing Power vs Power Efficiency Compromise - Home Gigabit
racielrod last edited by
I'm new to Pfsense and I have been browsing for a few days trying to understand what would give me the power I need for the feature set I'm looking for while trying to minimize power consumption and noise.
- Future: VPN Client (Maximize bandwidth on a 1Gbps link)
- Future: VPN Server
- Future: IDS
- Small form factor (mini/micro ITX?)
- Passive cooling is preferred
- Dual nic is fine (3-4 would be nice to have)
- Intel nics
- Ability to handle 1Gpbs w/o maxing-out resources (future proof)
- Power efficient (not sure about what I should be shooting for here in terms of power consumption while idling vs full load, etc).
- Processor supports AES-NI
Ideally I would like to spend ~$300 but I'm open to any suggestions.
I'm looking to build something I can use for a good number of years.
Any recommendations based on your own experience would be greatly appreciated.
rainer_d last edited by
For 300, pcengines hardware would probably be available (APU2)
AFAIK, it does not do full GB, but pretty close.
I have no experience with it (yet). I'm still debating whether to buy an APU2C4 or an SG3100 (at more than double the cost).
I'm near Zurich, so PCEngines is really a local business here. The price is another factor, but given the intended lifespan of the system, it's not all down to price.