Throughput halved after upgrade to 1.2.2 (solved)



  • I have upgraded my 1.2 box to 1.2.2. and now my network throughput dropped from 23 mbps to about 11 mbps.
    Immediately after the upgrade I noticed that the cpu was constantly loaded to about 30%, and it turned out to be the irq0:clk interrupt - this should not be right but it was so. I decreased kern.hz from 1000 to 333 and my interrupt load is now less than 3% which is more normal. CPU is not maxing out to 100% during transfers in the later kern.hz case, but in both cases the throughput is the same, and even substituting my desktop for the WAN link and my laptop for the LAN link the download speed is down to 11 mbps again.

    Do you know any apparent reason?



  • Try with 1.2.3 http://snapshots.pfsense.org/FreeBSD7/RELENG_1_2/
    @http://blog.pfsense.org/?p=377:

    Upgrade to FreeBSD 7.1 - We never know what we might run into when changing FreeBSD versions. Sometimes a version change requires numerous changes in our code base, as going from 6.x to 7.0 did. Going from 7.0 to 7.1 hasn’t required many changes at all though. This was the primary reason for caution, and it has proven to be a non-issue. It also has proven to fix many hardware regressions between 6.2 and 7.0. A number of users have reported that hardware that worked fine on 6.2 stopped working on 7.0. In every case I’m aware of, 7.1 fixed that problem.



  • I installed the latest build but no luck again. The throuhput is still low.
    To make sure it wasn't me imagining something I went ahead and put mikrotik on the same box. Immeditly I got the usual throuhput.

    I will be reinstalling 1.2 from sratch.

    God I wish I had bought that second hand cisco. Don't get me wrong, I just used to work for more than 10 years in an ISP with cisco and I know it like the back of my teeth.



  • @i4ko:

    I installed the latest build but no luck again. The throuhput is still low.
    To make sure it wasn't me imagining something I went ahead and put mikrotik on the same box. Immeditly I got the usual throuhput.

    I will be reinstalling 1.2 from sratch.

    God I wish I had bought that second hand cisco. Don't get me wrong, I just used to work for more than 10 years in an ISP with cisco and I know it like the back of my teeth.

    May I just wonder why you choose to run pfSense if you are so familiar with cisco products?



  • Weird We installed  1.2.2 and got a little bit of a throughput increase. We have a 100/100 internet conenction and are getting 58/48 with pfsense and snort running.

    Maybe there is a driver problem or something similiar on your box?



  • i had 30% more cpu load after uppgrade when i max the line (100/20 mbit)



  • @akus:

    @i4ko:

    I installed the latest build but no luck again. The throuhput is still low.
    To make sure it wasn't me imagining something I went ahead and put mikrotik on the same box. Immeditly I got the usual throuhput.

    I will be reinstalling 1.2 from sratch.

    God I wish I had bought that second hand cisco. Don't get me wrong, I just used to work for more than 10 years in an ISP with cisco and I know it like the back of my teeth.

    May I just wonder why you choose to run pfSense if you are so familiar with cisco products?

    Cause this pfSense is for home and bying a new Cisco (for home), just to spare me the swapping of the two cables from my two provides just does not pay it. And no, linksys is not Cisco. I actually like pfSense.



  • @sas12356:

    i had 30% more cpu load after uppgrade when i max the line (100/20 mbit)

    Probably because of a bug in the CPU stats calculations. It wasn't counting all idle cycles properly. Fixed this week in 1.2.3.

    1.2.3/FreeBSD 7.1 also seems to behave better in general for those with hardware combinations FreeBSD 7.0 didn't play well with.



  • i uppgrade from 1.2.1stable to 1.2.3 know and went from 100% on full speed to 70% full download speed.



  • @cmb - I will upgrade to the latest 1.2.3 now and test again,
    in the mean time I went playing (1.2.3 build from Mar 7) and this is what I found:

    kern.polling.enable=1; kern.polling.idle_poll=0; kern.hz=100 - throughput 10 to 12 Mbps, CPU idle usage 15%; CPU load usage 85%
    kern.polling.enable=1; kern.polling.idle_poll=1; kern.hz=100 - throughput 22 to 25 Mbps, CPU idle usage 100%; CPU load usage 100%
    kern.polling.enable=0; kern.polling.idle_poll=0/1; kern.hz=100 - throughput 22 to 25 Mbps, CPU idle usage 5-8%; CPU load usage 100%
    kern.polling.enable=1; kern.polling.idle_poll=0; kern.hz=1000 - throughput 14 to 15 Mbps, CPU idle usage 55%; CPU load usage 95%
    kern.polling.enable=1; kern.polling.idle_poll=1; kern.hz=1000 - throughput 14 to 16 Mbps, CPU idle usage 100%; CPU load usage 100%
    kern.polling.enable=0; kern.polling.idle_poll=0/1; kern.hz=1000 - throughput 22 to 24 Mbps, CPU idle usage 35-55%; CPU load usage 100%



  • The same with 1.2.3 from Apr 7

    I guess I will just use kern.hz=100 and no polling.


Log in to reply