pkg wants to upgrade pfSense-upgrade, should I do it?

• Hi

I had an incident, where my Netgate (pfsense 2.4.3-RELEASE-p1) got bricked, and I ended up having to do a hard reset. Upon reconfiguring the system, I got an error from the package manager UI saying that the versions were out of sync.

If I login to the box, and run "pkg upgrade", I get the following:

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
    pfSense-upgrade: 0.45 -> 0.49 [pfSense]

Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

Should I let it do this? Why exactly isn't the UI upgrading this? Am I really expected to run the pkg upgrade myself? :-).

Thanks!

• Also, this is the error I get from the GUI when I try to install a package now after the reset. It's likely I did not have WAN access when I did the hard reset, so unclear what state I'm in...

0_1536981955103_Pkg install.png

• Hi,

What does it show here :

0_1537014047094_96f6879a-7562-4098-9e68-694c34768ced-image.png

Is your FreeBSD kernel up to date ?

• @gertjan The kernel installed says:

FreeBSD yggdrasil 10.3-RELEASE-p19 FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE-p19 #1 76a12c4e6(RELENG_2_3_4): Thu Jun 1 09:22:27 CDT 2017 root@factory23-amd64-builder:/builder/factory-234/tmp/obj/builder/factory-234/tmp/FreeBSD-src/sys/pfSense amd64

The GUI says:

0_1537297289266_yggdrasil.png

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

Somehow your kernel is from 2.3.x and the rest (maybe?) is from 2.4.x.

You should probably reinstall it from scratch, or, failing that, at least force an upgrade of everything:

pkg-static clean -ay; pkg-static install -fy pkg pfSense-repo pfSense-upgrade; pkg-static upgrade -f

• @jimp said in pkg wants to upgrade pfSense-upgrade, should I do it?:

pkg-static clean -ay

Ok, thanks. So it downgraded some package(s) when I did the hard reset ? Is the above pkg updates safe to do, in that it should preserve all configurations etc.? I had a hell of a time recovering after I 'bricked' the installation while trying to enable ntopng :-/.

Thanks!

-- leif

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

I would take a backup before you do anything else. The system is in a broken state right now so anything you do is likely to help. Your choices are really:

1. The pkg commands above to force everything to update
    2. Reinstall from a freshly downloaded image and restore your configuration

If anything offered a "downgrade" while trying the first step it's possible you were not pointed at the correct repository for updates. Make sure that under System > Update it is set to use the latest stable update branch.

• @jimp Cool, thanks. I'll give it a shot over the weekend, hopefully it'll go ok :).

Thanks again!

-- Leif