fatal error - cannot restore 2.4.2 backup in 2.4.4

• I have the config of a failed pfsense appliance running 2.4.2 and am trying to replace it with a new appliance running 2.4.4. Both of them are Netgate SG-4680s.

When I restore the backup the firewall boots up but all interfaces are unresponsive. Is this a known issue or is there anything I can manually modify in the backup to fix this? Does anybody know where I can find the non-community version of 2.4.2 for Netgate devices in order to perhaps downgrade the newer appliance?

Loading configuration......done.
    Updating configuration....
    Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /etc/inc/upgrade_config.inc:5502
    Stack trace:
    #0 /etc/inc/config.lib.inc(378): upgrade_174_to_175()
    #1 /etc/rc.bootup(125): convert_config()
    #2 {main}
      thrown in /etc/inc/upgrade_config.inc on line 5502
    PHP ERROR: Type: 1, File: /etc/inc/upgrade_config.inc, Line: 5502, Message: Uncaught Error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /etc/inc/upgrade_config.inc:5502
    Stack trace:
    #0 /etc/inc/config.lib.inc(378): upgrade_174_to_175()
    #1 /etc/rc.bootup(125): convert_config()
    #2 {main}
      thrownStarting CRON... done.
    pfSense 2.4.4-RELEASE amd64 Thu Sep 20 09:33:19 EDT 2018
    Bootup complete

FreeBSD/amd64 (Amnesiac) (ttyu1)

• With Portal Access you can download 2.4.2 here https://portal.pfsense.org/firmware/memstick/old/

-Rico

• Unfortunately I don't have portal access.

In an act of pure desperation I searched github for the function "function upgrade_174_to_175()" and found that it relates to ipsec phase1.

The (non-functional) 2.4.2 config looked like this:

<ipsec>
    		<phase1></phase1>
    		<logging>
    			[...]
    		</logging>
    	</ipsec>

I compared it to other configs and manually deleted the empty "phase 1" element. The configuration upgraded successfully.

<ipsec>
    		<logging>
    			[...]
    		</logging>
    	</ipsec>

That was a bit of a nightmare. ☹

• for me happened as it was stuck in update and i reset the VM, so i restored the whole VM to old version and updated again .
    this time i didn't pay attention to system appear to be hang, i waited till update finished and this time everything worked as it was supposed too

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

I've been looking for that one. Someone mentioned it here or on Reddit a week or two ago but I never got to see the config that triggered it.

Now that I have the error and the original config I can reproduce it and fix it.

https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/9083

Thanks!

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

I was able to reproduce it in a VM, and then confirm my fix corrected the issue. The patch is in place for our next release.

• This just happened to me too.

Exact same issue. I consoled into the device, removed the <phase1></phase1/> line, and was good to go.

The next release being? (it looks like 2.4.4-p1)....do you know when they release this?

I do not think I ever configured ipsec for this router, do you know how the phase1 line got in there?