pfsense 2.4.4 hangs without logging errors

• Hi all,

Sorry for my lack of imagination on the title front =P

I'm after some ideas or guidance on how to catch this thing.

Since I've upgraded to 2.4.4 (without any crash or re install needed) I have been experiencing, so far, a couple of hangs where plugging hdmi in wouldn't turn the display on to look at possible dumps or logs on the console and the logs themselves didn't show anything at all at the time it happened.

So I was wondering, in preparation for the next time, if I could do anything to make sure the box logs SOMETHING that helps me understand what the root cause is.

This is my hardware

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz
    Current: 2300 MHz, Max: 2301 MHz
    4 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s) x 2 hardware threads
    AES-NI CPU Crypto: Yes (inactive)

It's got a 4-port intel card as well, so one of them is basically the wan and other plugs to the AP.

I'm basically running pfblockerng and openvpn.

I've attached 'dmesg' output.0_1541624080990_fw_dmesg.txt

This is an extract from system log

At 22:27 I realised it was long dead so I rebooted the box. So you can see, only logs before that, pfblockerng only.

Nov 4 22:27:15 	kernel: Copyright (c) 1992-2018 The FreeBSD Project.
    Nov 4 22:27:15 	syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
    Nov 4 22:00:00 	php: [pfBlockerNG] Starting cron process.
    Nov 4 21:04:28 	php: [pfBlockerNG] No changes to Firewall rules, skipping Filter Reload
    Nov 4 21:00:00 	php: [pfBlockerNG] Starting cron process.
    Nov 4 20:04:30 	php: [pfBlockerNG] No changes to Firewall rules, skipping Filter Reload
    Nov 4 20:00:00 	php: [pfBlockerNG] Starting cron process.
    Nov 4 19:04:33 	php: [pfBlockerNG] No changes to Firewall rules, skipping Filter Reloa

I'm running this version
    pfBlockerNG-devel net 2.2.5_19

I haven't tried re installing anything at all, I'd to first identify what's the issue, if possible.

Any ideas to help catch this thing would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

Generally speaking, a lockup without any logs is going to be hardware. It could be a disk issue (hence no logs saved) or it could be power/heat or another hardware problem.

Leave a connection open to the console, either with a monitor for a video console or a serial client set to log for a serial console. If it locks up and there is no output even on the console, then it's almost certainly hardware. If there is output on the console, it would hopefully point toward a more accurate assessment of what's wrong.