Mobile Clients with a entire Subnet

• I am trying to establish an IPsec VPN between the main site and several probes. A "probe" should be a raspberry pi (with strongswan) which should build a site-to-site tunnel. It is important to know that I am behind a NAT with the Probe.

Main location 10.90.0.0/15
    Probe001 sould be 10.94.1.0/24
    Probe002 sould be 10.94.2.0/24
    and so on ..

I've found that I need to use Mobile IPsec on a NAT because my remote is complety dynamic.

I have now activated "Mobile Clients" and created a Phase1 correctly. As I understand it, I use Mutual PSK and define a ID+PSK for each Probe.

-> so far so good, I can also connect a Phase1 successfully.

My problem is that I can not get started with Phase2. Pfsense "Mobile Clients" always wants a Virtual IP. But I want a stati local and remote subnet for every Probe.

Strongswan also sends the "leftsubnet = 10.94.1.0 / 24" but the pfsense refuses.

(newest at Top)

15[ENC] <con-mobile|22> generating IKE_AUTH response 1 [ IDr AUTH N(AUTH_LFT) N(FAIL_CP_REQ) N(TS_UNACCEPT) ]
    15[IKE] <con-mobile|22> failed to establish CHILD_SA, keeping IKE_SA
    15[IKE] <con-mobile|22> traffic selectors 10.90.0.0/15|/0 === 10.94.1.0/24|/0 inacceptable   ---> thats is not nice from you!
    15[CFG] <con-mobile|22> dynamic
    15[CFG] <con-mobile|22> proposing traffic selectors for other:
    15[CFG] <con-mobile|22> 10.90.0.0/15|/0   
    15[CFG] <con-mobile|22> proposing traffic selectors for us:
    15[CFG] <con-mobile|22> looking for a child config for 10.90.0.0/15|/0 === 10.94.1.0/24|/0    --> i need that !! pfsense get the proposed peer Subnet 
    15[IKE] <con-mobile|22> expected a virtual IP request, sending FAILED_CP_REQUIRED   --> yeah, peer dont want to use Vitual IPs ... your are wrong pfsense
    15[IKE] <con-mobile|22> maximum IKE_SA lifetime 28550s
    15[IKE] <con-mobile|22> scheduling reauthentication in 28010s
    15[IKE] <con-mobile|22> IKE_SA con-mobile[22] state change: CONNECTING => ESTABLISHED  --> phase1 is good

how can I set a remote subnet instead of Virtual IP?

thanks for the help

• Dont use Mobile IPSec for a master. Use a classic IPSec with IKEv2.
    Configure some fix IKE Identifiers like FQDN.

The best way is to have a dynamic DNS on the dynamic site and use the dynamic DNS name for vpn connection.

Second Idea:
    Maybe try to setup 0.0.0.0 as remote peer on your main firewall and activate "Responder only" Setting.

• @bepo
    I tested it again,without mobile IPsec apparently there is a check of the "remote gateway" in phase1. The following works:

1. the current public IP of the peer behind the NAT
    2. DynDNS which resolves to the current public IP of the peer (behind the NAT)
    3. 0.0.0.0 as a peer
      (anything else, a fake DNS, fake IP or fake Hostname will result in No_Proposel_chosen )

0.0.0.0 is not an option. I can only create one phase1 with that IP. Phase2 of Peer1 is overwritten by Phase2 of Peer2. Moreover, it is safety-critical because I would only have one PSK for all peers (probe).

But I do not understand the behavior of pfsense! if I have to use "responder only", why is the peer address relevant at all?

Do I really need to resolve to a DNS name just to get a valid "peer-address" check in phase1? because the peer ip is not needed, only in the UI