Dual XEON processors?

• I was looking around for a cheap SuperMicro 1u server, and found a place that has some of the older technology (stills support AES-NI) for really cheap. This brings up the question, will pfSense run on a dual Xeon E5-2620 based computer (with like 16GB to spread the RAM around correctly). Wicked overkill, but the price is around $350.00usd and really fits my budget nicely if it is new old stock (not used, I have 5 year old machines I could use if I thought they would be reliable).

Thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Or should I throw caution to the wind, pull out the storage drives from an old server, and run with it? I have several old dual Xeon processor machines that recently got pulled from service because they were getting to the point where I thought they might fail, some with newer processors than the above. But they have been running 24/7 for the last 6 years and I'm not sure how much longer it would be safe to run them before the electronic components start to become an issue.

• Netgate Administrator

It will almost certainly run. I'd watch out for some obscure disk controller that severs of that type often have. It may not play well with FreeBSD.

Steve