Switching to Google Fiber. Help...

• I am definitely a networking newbie but I learn quick and have been very happy using pfSense with my Spectrum 400/20 broadband. I just had Google fiber installed and I need to switch over with my existing network with my pfSense router at the head.

Fiber Jack > Powerful Homemade pfSense box > Managed (not currently managing anything on my network) > clients

Can I just connect my pfsense box directly to the fiber jack as if it was my old ISP? What configs do I need to make in pfSense. If anyone has a guide, been through this install or is willing to walk me through it I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

• Netgate Administrator

Hmm, you used tp have to set a VLAN tag of 2 and the CoS(vlan priority) to 3 but it looks like they may have dropped that requirement.

Unfortunately I can only dream of Google fibre. 😉

Steve

• Yes they have dropped those requirements. So what I have done just to get connected is: fiber jack > Google Fiber Box > Custom pfSense router > managed switch

Am I going to lose any functionality in pfSense having their network box in front of pfSense router?

• Netgate Administrator

You are probably double NATing when you don't have to.

You probably won't see any difference but it make setting up port forwards or services on the firewall, like a VPN, more difficult. You have to configure everything on both routers.
    Better to connect pfSense as directly as you can.

Steve

• Another thread on this topic I'm aware of:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30908033-Bypass-Google-Fiber-Box-How-To-pfSense

Hope this helps.