DHCP Server on pfSense for L3 Switch doing InterVLAN Routing

• Hi,
    This may have been asked and answered elsewhere. If so, my apologies and could you post a link. Thanks in advance.

Basically in my homelab network design/plan I have a pfSense setup with a Layer 3 switch.
    After a bit of reading, I decided to use the Layer 3 switch to do the InterVLAN routing for a performance increase.
    My question is, can pfSense be a DHCP Server for 4/5 VLANs from the L3 switch, while only having a single LAN NIC to the switch?

pfSense has an IP of 192.168.10.1
    L3 switch is 192.168.10.2
    VLAN20 Network Address 192.168.20.0
    VLAN30 Network Address 192.168.30.0
    And so on etc...

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance

• You'd have to set up a DHCP relay on the switch. The DHCP solicit packets are broadcasts and not passed by routers.

• So pfSense can have DHCP Scopes even though it doesn't have a physical interface with that range?

• @sebwelch said in DHCP Server on pfSense for L3 Switch doing InterVLAN Routing:

So pfSense can have DHCP Scopes even though it doesn't have a physical interface with that range?

If the routing is done elsewhere, you need a relay agent. If the routing is done with pfSense, then it can directly access the networks and provide DHCP directly.