XG-1537 BIOS Update to 2.0a

• Hi there!

Yesterday I found out, that there is a new BIOS for the X10SDV-8C-TLN4F Mainboard available (https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-8C-TLN4F_.cfm).

Since new always means better, I have installed it onto our Netgate XG-1537.
    The machine is working exactly as before, but whilst updating the BIOS I have seen, that the old BIOS was branded by Netgate.

After POST there was a Netgate menu flashing before my eyes for a brief moment that said something like press <TAB> to view something. I have never seen this before and now, after the flash of Supermicro's BIOS 2.0a it is gone forever.

This leads me to the following questions:

• What was the purpose of said menu? Do I want it?
    • Was it a bad idea to flash the manufacturer BIOS? Have I lost other valuable Netgate tweaks on the way?
    • Is there a way to download and revert to the Netgate BIOS 1.3?

I think I could live with losing a menu I have never seen before, but if Netgate made some other important tweaks to the hardware, I think I would rather revert to the Netgate 1.3 BIOS.

Kind regards,
    Holger

• Netgate Administrator

I believe that was just the splash screen that pops up with our logo.

I would not recommend updating the BIOS unless that update brings some feature or fix you actually need. I can't see any release notes for that BIOS version so it's hard to make that judgement.

I don't think you will have lost anything though.

Steve

• Would be good to see a bios changelog.

And that the factory netgate bios is easily available so it possible to downgrade.