Why create a static entry in the Arp table?

• When setting a static IP address for hosts on the network, there is an option for "Create an ARP Table Static Entry for this MAC & IP Address pair", sometimes I have checked it, sometimes I haven't. But I have never known whether it's best to check or not check it.

Searching the forums and interwebs isn't telling me anything about why having pfsense create this static list is a good thing or not. What, if at some point I need to change the static definition of that host? I am assuming the table would be updated.

In short, what are the benefits to choosing this option?

• @madivad said in Why create a static entry in the Arp table?:

When setting a static IP address for hosts on the network, there is an option for "Create an ARP Table Static Entry for this MAC & IP Address pair", sometimes I have checked it, sometimes I haven't. But I have never known whether it's best to check or not check it.

Searching the forums and interwebs isn't telling me anything about why having pfsense create this static list is a good thing or not. What, if at some point I need to change the static definition of that host? I am assuming the table would be updated.

In short, what are the benefits to choosing this option?

The only time I had to set up static arp was to configure some security cameras. Until the initial configuration was set up, it was necessary to use a static arp to map to the IP address to be used.