CPU temperature and clock

• Hi everyone,
    it might seem like a stupid question, but what command should I use to view the current usage of the CPU clock?
    One more thing, through the widget and the commands I see the same temperature for all the cores even if I set the temperature sensor on AMD K8 having a fx 6300.
    Thanks for your help.

• Netgate Administrator

If the sensors widget is showing the same value then that's what the driver is reporting. Either the core s really are all the same or your CPU is not correctly supported by the amdtemp driver.

The CPU usage can be viewed in Diag > System Activity or by running top -aSH at the command line.

Steve

• @stephenw10 said in CPU temperature and clock:

If the sensors widget is showing the same value then that's what the driver is reporting. Either the core s really are all the same or your CPU is not correctly supported by the amdtemp driver.

The CPU usage can be viewed in Diag > System Activity or by running top -aSH at the command line.

Steve

Thanks for the help, I thought that something could be done to be able to improve the temperature data, for the first question I mean the clock in real time, how many Ghz are used by each CPU at that time.

• Netgate Administrator

It will be running at full speed (or whatever you have set in the BIOS) unless you have enabled powerd in System > Adv > Misc and there is a cpufreq driver that recognises your CPU.
    If that is the case it is reported on the dashboard in the System Info widget like:

CPU Type 	Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C3558 @ 2.20GHz
    Current: 1700 MHz, Max: 2200 MHz
    4 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 4 core(s)
    AES-NI CPU Crypto: Yes (active) 

You can also see pull those values from the sysctls.

Steve

• Okay, but is there a command to use in the command prompt to see the clock?

• Netgate Administrator

[2.5.0-DEVELOPMENT][root@fw321.stevew.lan]/root: sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
    dev.cpu.0.freq: 1162

You can also see the coretemp values there:

[2.5.0-DEVELOPMENT][root@fw321.stevew.lan]/root: sysctl dev.cpu.0
    dev.cpu.0.temperature: 42.0C
    dev.cpu.0.coretemp.throttle_log: 0
    dev.cpu.0.coretemp.tjmax: 98.0C
    dev.cpu.0.coretemp.resolution: 1
    dev.cpu.0.coretemp.delta: 56
    dev.cpu.0.cx_method: C1/hlt
    dev.cpu.0.cx_usage_counters: 29834998
    dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% last 660us
    dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C1
    dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1/0
    dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 1744/13850 1743/9995 1660/8710 1577/7425 1494/6140 1411/4855 1328/3570 1245/2285 1162/1000
    dev.cpu.0.freq: 1162
    dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0
    dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0
    dev.cpu.0.%location: handle=\_PR_.CPU0
    dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
    dev.cpu.0.%desc: ACPI CPU

Steve

• Thanks, this is what I meant