BT Internet with 4G Assure

• I have a BT ADSL connection. I'm NOT using the BT Router, I'm using a DrayTek Vigor130 in bridge mode to my pfsense firewall which is then handling the PPPoE.

I have a number of static IP addresses from BT as well.

BT have now sent me a G4 Assure USB modem (looks to be a HUAWEIMOBILE). I plugged it into the pfsense firewall but it's not being being detected, well the CD image on it is... and I ejected that with

cam control eject ca0

I'm wondering if anyone else has played with this a knows how to get the modem detected and then how to set it up for failover? I need the static IPs to route over to the G4 connection. I think it should just work when I define the routes.

• small update...

it looks to be "Huawei E3372h" so install the "usb_modeswitch" package and issued the command:

usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1f01 -c /usr/local/share/usb_modeswitch/12d1:1f01

brings up a new network interface. with an IP of 192.168.8.100 and gateway of 192.168.8.1

I can connect to the gateway via http and see The Huawei status page.

however that's as far as it gets.. It's reporting that the "Connection Failed. The profile is invalid."

I'm wondering if the official BT router needs to push some configuration at it first.

• Netgate Administrator

The BT router probably doesn't use it in router mode but connects to it directly using mbim or similar. FreeBSD, and hence pfSense, can't do that. You may be able to find the connection details and use them to have it connect in router mode.

Steve