IPv6 Track Interface: unable to track muliple local interface

• For IPv6 I have set DHCP6 IPv6 Configuration Type on the WAN interface with a /64 prefix delegation size. On the intranet side I have multiple local interfaces that were configured to Track Interface. The IPv6 Prefix ID for each local interface was incremented by one. So, here's how things are configured:
    Interface: LAN1 - Track Interface - Ipv6 Interface: WAN, IPv6 Prefix ID: 0
    Interface: LAN2 - Track Interface - Ipv6 Interface: WAN, IPv6 Prefix ID: 1
    Interface: LAN3 - Track Interface - Ipv6 Interface: WAN, IPv6 Prefix ID: 2

Everything used to work until I decided to "disable" LAN2 for IPv6. Now, only WAN & LAN1 get's the IPv6 from the ISP. Rest of the local interfaces do not get IPv6 address. Now, I am not even able to enable a local interface for IPv6. Anytime, I try to set the IPv6 Configuration type to Track Interface and select WAN as the tracking interface with IPv6 Prefix ID to some unique integer number, I get the following error:
    5014c7ba-0551-4fb1-af8e-efe603169f46-image.png

No log entries are shown in the System log when this error occurs.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Netgate Administrator

Hmm, can we see the <interfaces> section from your config file?

Steve

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

If it says the valid range is 0-0 then it's saying you only get one subnet to use. That matches with your delegated prefix size being /64.

If the ISP allocates you multiple /64 networks then you need to use a larger delegation size, things like /60 and /56 are quite common in practice. Every delegated network prefix ID will get a /64, but the delegation size is how large your entire allocation is. For example /60 would be 16 individual contiguous /64 subnets with an ID range of 0-F.

It is possible that in some older version there was a bug where the ISP was sending you a larger delegation even when you only requested /64, and now it is working as intended and doing what you told it to do. :-)

• Netgate Administrator

Like JimP said try specifying a /56 or /60 prefix delegation size on the WAN. If they only give you a /64 there are none to use on the internal interfaces. However since you are not requesting anything bigger it could be the ISP changed what they give you by default.

Steve

• @stephenw10 @jimp Thank you! I changed the the prefix back to /60 (something I tried in the past but didn't work) and it now automagically works 👏

• @rsaanon said in IPv6 Track Interface: unable to track muliple local interface:

@stephenw10 @jimp Thank you! I changed the the prefix back to /60 (something I tried in the past but didn't work) and it now automagically works 👏

Perhaps that's all they offer, which is 16 networks. You could try other sizes to see how much they offer. My ISP has /56s.