Another rookie PFSENSE & FiOS setup question

• Hello all. I have Verizon FiOS for internet and cable. I would like to have pfsense tackle everything except for the STB's and DVR. I have a Unifi 8 port switch (with PoE) and a Unifi Nano HD AP and those two tackle most of my connections. I have a couple still connected to the Fios router but the primary things are through the switch.

What would be the best course of action?

Also should state that this is more for testing purposes with inexpensive equipment than anything at the moment. Eventually I would like to build something capable of 10gbps to fully utilize the capabilities of my custom NAS.

Thanks in advanced all!

• bump

• So, are you just looking for a "how to get started" kind of response from us?

If so, here's a page from pfsense:
    https://www.pfsense.org/getting-started/

And a good video on building something yourself, but not with a 10gbps card:
    video link

Hope that helps...

Jeff

• I have Verizon FIOS as well, but I'm not quite sure I understand what you're question is / what you are trying to do. Are you just trying to setup a double router / double NAT setup with pfSense at the edge (i.e. Verizon ONT connected to pfSense WAN interface) and then the Verizon router on the LAN side handling MoCA for STB's and the DVR? Or did I misunderstand your post and it's something else?

• @tman222 said in Another rookie PFSENSE & FiOS setup question:

I have Verizon FIOS as well, but I'm not quite sure I understand what you're question is / what you are trying to do. Are you just trying to setup a double router / double NAT setup with pfSense at the edge (i.e. Verizon ONT connected to pfSense WAN interface) and then the Verizon router on the LAN side handling MoCA for STB's and the DVR? Or did I misunderstand your post and it's something else?

Yes thats more what I am looking to do. Id like to get rid of the fios router all together but im not sure what would be needed to do so to maintain the same level of functionality. For testing purposes I would prefer to double NAT double router and get an understanding.

Edit: I dont have coax coming from the ONT, I made them run and enable cat5 when I first had it installed. Not sure if this information helps.

• @Architect_401 said in Another rookie PFSENSE & FiOS setup question:

@tman222 said in Another rookie PFSENSE & FiOS setup question:

I have Verizon FIOS as well, but I'm not quite sure I understand what you're question is / what you are trying to do. Are you just trying to setup a double router / double NAT setup with pfSense at the edge (i.e. Verizon ONT connected to pfSense WAN interface) and then the Verizon router on the LAN side handling MoCA for STB's and the DVR? Or did I misunderstand your post and it's something else?

Yes thats more what I am looking to do. Id like to get rid of the fios router all together but im not sure what would be needed to do so to maintain the same level of functionality. For testing purposes I would prefer to double NAT double router and get an understanding.

Edit: I dont have coax coming from the ONT, I made them run and enable cat5 when I first had it installed. Not sure if this information helps.

Hi @Architect_401 - ok, in that case you can keep the Verizon router on the LAN side though maybe put it on its own subnet / VLAN. Also check out this link for a wealth of information on how to set things up and for examples of different types of router / multi-router configurations when using FIOS:

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

Finally, you don't necessarily need to keep the Verizon router to maintain functionality to the STB's - you can just buy a MoCA bridge for that instead (which will also forego the need to double NAT on your network).

Hope this helps.