Upgrading to 2.4.4_3 and failed and I am stuck!

• This morning I noticed an update to 2.4.4._3 and I started it and went to have some coffee... I can back about 20 minutes later and noticed that my laptop was not connected to the network. Going over to my APU, although I saw interfaces lit and seemly active, there seemed to be no activity on the unit.

I consoled into the unit and looking at /conf/upgrade_log.txt, I saw that it installed 11 of the 13 packages and seemingly stopped. The last message was ===> Extracting new base tarball.

Is there any way to either restart the upgrade or force it to move forward? I am stuck hard time and need to get the device running soon! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Better backup yours /cf/conf/config.xml file and do full reinstall of system, this will guaranty clean and working system.
    After restoring from backup config: check that all packages are installed and their configuration correct.
    If - no, then trigger Reinstall Packages by go to Diagnostics => Backup & Restore => Package Functions: Reinstall Packages

• @dragoangel Thanks for the rapid response. How does back up the config.xml file if the only connection I have is via the console cable?

• @kcallis :

1. What hardware/hypervisor you run?
    2. If this hardware: you can put-in and mount preformed flash-drive and use cp to copy file
    3. If this VM you can simply use "Snapshot" and try to reinstall without copying file: on full reinstall of OS - installation wizard will give you option to recover from config of previous install. This little bit risky: if you will format drive and not finish install you will loose your config.xml. But with Snapshot you can simply go back.
    4. If you was enabled Auto Config Backups and know your "Device Key" and "Encryption Key" then you not need to worry - you can restore from cloud backups.

• @dragoangel said in Upgrading to 2.4.4_3 and failed and I am stuck!:

@kcallis :

1. What hardware/hypervisor you run?
    2. If this hardware: you can put-in and mount preformed flash-drive and use cp to copy file
    3. If this VM you can simply use "Snapshot" and try to reinstall without copying file: on full reinstall of OS - installation wizard will give you option to recover from config of previous install. This little bit risky: if you will format drive and not finish install you will loose your config.xml. But with Snapshot you can simply go back.
    4. If you was enabled Auto Config Backups and know your "Device Key" and "Encryption Key" then you not need to worry - you can restore from cloud backups.

I am using the Netgate APU, probably the last unit before the new devices. So one console port, one USB port (duh, I forgot the I have a USB port) and three interfaces (WAN, LAN, OPT).

• If you have SSH enabled you may also use SCP or WinSCP to download the config via network.

• @viragomann he can if LAN connectivity or SSHD daemon not broken too...

• Looking at the Backup and Recovery, I installed a boot thumb drive in the first USB port and a vfat formatted thumb drive in the second. I then tried to recover the config.xml, but nothing was written to the data thrumb drive. What did I miss? I am not a FreeBSD person, so I am not sure how to mount the data drive so I can copy the file. And do I need to create a config directory on the data drive or can I just name it config.xml and do I need to convert if from dos2unix? I do now that the file is in place in the /tmp/recoved_config/config.xml.

• If you can still boot to current OS: first backup your CONFIG.XML. For this you need not boot from Installation Flash-Drive - remove it.
    https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/backup/automatically-restore-during-install.html
    https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/solutions/apu/reinstall-pfsense.html
    In future better begin to backup configs before updates, or use Cloud Backups or use separated Linux machine to take backups remotely by bash script with crontab:

#!/bin/bash

# [Editable] Source pfSense IP Address
    PFSENSE_URL=https://pfsense:port

# [Editable] pfSense User (create user with allowed backups page only permissions)
    PF_USER=backup

# [Editable] pfSense Password
    PF_PASSWORD=password

# [Editable] ZIP Password
    ZIP_PASSWORD=zip-password

# [Editable] Destination backups folder:
    PFSENSE_BACKUP_ROOT=/mnt/some_storage

# [Editable] Temprorary folder for rsync files:
    TEMP_FOLDER=/tmp/pfsense_backup

# [Static] Common envirement:
    DATE=$(date +"%Y%m%d")
    TIME=$(date +%Y.%m.%d' '%H:%M:%S)
    PFSENSE_CONFIG=$DATE-config.zip

#
    # Begin backup job
    #################################################
    mkdir -p $PFSENSE_BACKUP_ROOT
    mkdir -p $TEMP_FOLDER
    rm -rf $TEMP_FOLDER/*
    chown -R $(whoami):$(whoami) $TEMP_FOLDER
    chmod -R 750 $TEMP_FOLDER
    cd $TEMP_FOLDER

#
    # Use WGET to get backups, documented in https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Remote_Config_Backup
    ##################################################
    # Fetch the login form and save the cookies and CSRF token
    echo $TIME Starting backup...
    wget -qO- --keep-session-cookies --save-cookies cookies.txt --no-check-certificate $PFSENSE_URL/diag_backup.php | grep "name='__csrf_magic'" | sed 's/.*value="\(.*\)".*/\1/' > csrf.txt

# Submit the login form along with the first CSRF token and save the second CSRF token (can't reuse the same file) -- now the script is logged in and can take action.
    wget -qO- --keep-session-cookies --load-cookies cookies.txt --save-cookies cookies.txt --no-check-certificate --post-data "login=Login&usernamefld=$PF_USER&passwordfld=$PF_PASSWORD&__csrf_magic=$(cat csrf.txt)" $PFSENSE_URL/diag_backup.php  | grep "name='__csrf_magic'" | sed 's/.*value="\(.*\)".*/\1/' > csrf2.txt

# Submit the download form along with the second CSRF token to save a copy of config.xml
    wget --keep-session-cookies --load-cookies cookies.txt --no-check-certificate --post-data "download=download&donotbackuprrd=yes&__csrf_magic=$(head -n 1 csrf2.txt)" $PFSENSE_URL/diag_backup.php -O config.xml

zip -P $ZIP_PASSWORD $PFSENSE_BACKUP_ROOT/$PFSENSE_CONFIG config.xml
    rm -rf $TEMP_FOLDER

# Delete backups older then 14 days.
    find  $PFSENSE_BACKUP_ROOT -type f -mtime +14 -name '*-config.zip' -delete

• @dragoangel I can get into single mode, but I don't know how to mount the usb thumb drive.

• @kcallis simply use Google for this, pfSense is FreeBSD based, so mostly manual for FreeBSD can work with pfSense.
    Try:

mount -v -t msdosfs /dev/find_your_drive_here /mnt/

or

mount_msdosfs /dev/find_your_drive_here /mnt/

try Tab to see possible commands to use in console when write first part of command =)

• @dragoangel Thanks... I couldn't find the proper type!!! msdosfs!!! I was calling it all sort of other names.

• @dragoangel @viragomann The problem is be squared away and thanks for all the pointers!