Pfsense Openvpn -remote client connected but lan pc on pfsense not able to ping the remote client pc

• Hi pfsense lovers

subject :
    Pfsense Openvpn -remote client connected but lan pc on pfsense not able to ping the remote client pc

i have successfully setup the open vpn server on the pfsense box. export client on windows - able to connect to vpn server.

-from remote client pc i am able to access all the PC behind the pfsensence open vpn server( or the Lan pc) after setting the firewall rules.

Now . I would like to know why the LAN PC on the pfsense not able to reach the remote client PC which has been connected at the open vpn server in pfsense ?

• i am able to ping the tunnel ip

any thing that i missed out ? any other rules that i should include ?

Thank you in advance .

lee

• @lee7828 Show OpenVPN and LAN firewall rules

• @viktor_g
    thanks .
    openvpn fire wall rule :
    protocol : any . source : any destination : any

Lan . same .. as above .

i am suspecting if that could be actually normal ?

• @lee7828 sounds like a client-side firewall issue on the windows box itself. You may need to add a firewall rule in windows adv firewall to allow the LAN subnet to access the pc via all zones to the necessary ports. also check other 3rd party firewall/internet security software.

note: I assume you're trying to access the remote client pc via tunnel IP and not another address.

• @Sparty said in Pfsense Openvpn -remote client connected but lan pc on pfsense not able to ping the remote client pc:

sounds like a client-side firewall issu

I agree.

With my OpenVPN having these rules :

bea68f8c-a4b4-48df-a949-9ac82b3d25ab-image.png

( I created and interface called VPN from the OpenVPN virtual instance )

I could ping to a device that logged in using OpenVPN.
    It was an iPhone.
    I pinged to it using a PC on my LAN. The Phone replied.
    ( but I wouldn't be able to modify my iPhone's firewall .... there is no access to it ).

Microsoft Windows OS's do not rely to nothing - never, except if your network type is set up to "Office" or Home". And even then, it will only reply to the local network (LAN) segment - bot some other - routed - segment.
    You have to instruct Windows firewall for this manually.

Any other OS : probably the same thing.

• VPN interface does not include all vpn traffic, it must also be in the OpenVPN panel.

• Would yo be willing to elaborate....?

• Sorry, for jumping in. But I have the same problem where tunnels are not coming up and reason I found that Quagga service is unable to start even after several restart and start again cycle.

Any suggestions..?

• @kuldeep said in Pfsense Openvpn -remote client connected but lan pc on pfsense not able to ping the remote client pc:

Any suggestions..?

Noop.
    @lee7828 never said that the tunnel didn't come up. VPN works for him.
    The issue is (probably) that his device doesn't reply to an ICMP.
    Not a VPN issue - just a PC (or phone, or whatever) setup.

I advise you to open your own thread and do not omit the details.

• @Sparty thanks for your input. sorry for replying late.
    Yes . I was trying trying to access the remote client PC via the tunnel .