Bind Package - Any config overview ?
dbgee last edited by
Sorry if I am asking a common question that has been asked before ... but I was only forced to ask because I have seen nothing that is reliably explaining how this package is supposed to work ... how it is supposed to be used.
Puzzles for me:
- I don't see any zone files created ... is this to be expected?
- Is it essential that at least a view must be created ?
- What is the best practice for defining zone files, so the settings stick, even when the package is updated or changes in the UI are saved ?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions ... or explanations.
dbgee last edited by dbgee
Have figured things out, from trying. So, I am answering my own questions :-)
I don't see any zone files created ... is this to be expected?
Zone files are not created, until a view has been created and attached to the zone configuration screen
Is it essential that at least a view must be created ?
Yes, a view is required ... just create a default one. Without a view associated with the zone definition, the zone files will not be generated.
What is the best practice for defining zone files, so the settings stick, even when the package is updated or changes in the UI are saved ?
- Create a view ... this is essential
- create a zone ... using the DNS record fields to add entries you want. If you have a lot of hosts to add, there is a text field that can be used to paste in entries in bulk.
- The zone files are generated in the filesystem under
- Any changes to the underlying zone files content from a CLI session will be lost the next time the zone files are updated.
- So, longer time, one needs to get comfortable with using the entry fields in the zone configuration page for adding all zone records.