Application has slow download speed
I'm having a frustrating issue with my Steam and Origin game-download speeds. When I do just a simple speed test from my LAN PC to a speed test website, my download and upload speeds are normal. ~250 Mbp/s down and 10 Mbp/s up.
When I go to download a video game on Steam or Origin, the download speeds are ~1/8 of what they should be. I'm getting about 32mbp/s. I cannot figure out where the snag is. As far as I can tell, I have no traffic shaping setup and no bandwidth limiters on my pfsense.
My firewall/router is a pfsense - SG3100 and I have it uplinking to a UniFi switch with a variety of other devices, but no other devices are currently being used (except a UniFi AC WiFi that is just turned on).
Sounds like what can happen with bufferbloat, you might try one of the various FQ_CODEL configuration examples around.
Like this one:
Woahhh. I tried your guy's solution and now I'm getting gigabit speeds! 946 mbp/s down!!!!!!!
Actually what happened is a major networking fauxpas on my part. I didn't pay attention and assumed the applications on my PC were telling me Bytes (not bits) per second, like Steam usually does. And well because my download is 250 Mbits per second, that just happens to be roughly 8 times the 32 Mbps that I was actually getting on WAN.
I did manage to get my speeds corrected though. When I realized my WAN speeds were the culprit, I tried some of the solutions people usually suggest. I tried messing with the MTU, resetting the modem, resetting the switch, checking interfaces/limiters. It wasn't until I directly connected my PC to my modem to confirm I was getting the correct speeds, and then plugged the PC back into the switch that my WAN interface received the full download speed.
As far as getting gigabit speeds, well that's because I upgraded my internet plan.