Diagnosing can't ping out

• Just had an issue with a remote site. Can someone help me understand what happened?

Remote site has pfSense (Netgate 3100) connected to cable modem (modem in bridge mode - no routing)
    Computer at remote site was not able to reach the internet (user told me this by telephone)
    I was able to connect to remote pfSense using openVPN client
    On remote pfSense I see:
    - DNS servers look right (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)
    - WAN interface up, has correct IP from ISP
    I try Diagnostics > DNS Lookup > google.com
    - Fail
    I try Diagnostics > Ping > 8.8.8.8
    - Fail (Time to live exceeded)
    In Diagnostics > Ping I change Source Address from Auto to WAN and ping 8.8.8.8 again
    - Success!

As we had a 15 minute time window to get the system back up before a critical user was leaving the site I did Diagnostics > Reboot and crossed my fingers.

In 3 minutes the sytem was back up and working fine.

What happened? How could I have diagnosed further before resorting to a reboot?

• LAYER 8 Netgate

@axxxxe said in Diagnosing can't ping out:

I try Diagnostics > Ping > 8.8.8.8

• Fail (Time to live exceeded)

That is generally a routing loop. Probably a problem upstream.

• Would an upstream routing loop be resolved by rebooting the pfSense box?

• Netgate Administrator

It would if pfSense had decided it's default route was out the LAN.

Do you have a gateway configured on the LAN subnet? If so make sure the default gateway is set to the WAN rather than automatic in System > Routing > Gateways to avoid any possibility that pfSense chooses the LAN as default if the WAN goes down.

Steve

• No gateway on the LAN subnet, at least as far as I understand the question.

In System / Routing / Gateways I see a list of 2 Gateways:

WAN_DHCP (default)
    OVPN9194

But I am at the moment connected over the VPN. I was NOT connected over the VPN when the system went offline in the middle of last night.

• LAYER 8 Netgate

What happened? How could I have diagnosed further before resorting to a reboot?

Probably packet captures to see what was actually going out WAN.

Evaluating the routing table to see what the state of the network was at the time.