HA Configuration, secundary Device blocks packets in recovery mode

• Hello,

I configured a pfsense cluster with 2 x Netgate 7100 Devices.
    They have a CARP-VIP in USERLAN and a CARP VIP in WAN.
    The NAT Outbound rule is set with the VIP of the WAN.
    When I test the failover - the Clients losses Connection an I can see blocked Packets in the Firewall.

I checked the Sync (is is working) and all rules are synced
    on both devices - all TCP/UDP is allowed to the internet and is running in normal mode.

I double checked all settings - where or how can I detect the Problem? Any Ideas?

Best regards
    Martin

• Do you also syncing the states?

Do you devices use the USERLAN CARP VIP as their default gateway?

• Hello viagomann,

thanks for your question:

• yes the states are synced - but: State sync is checked at the Master - not at the Backup-Device
    • yes the USERLAN CARP VIP ist exposed as the default GW (Checked at the Client ipconfig)

Best regards
    Martin

• The states should be synced in both directions, otherwise you get out of state block when the first node takes over the master again.

@mmichael said in HA Configuration, secundary Device blocks packets in recovery mode:

When I test the failover - the Clients losses Connection an I can see blocked Packets in the Firewall.

On master or backup? Please post a screenshot.

• Hi,

now I activated sync on both Devices. Now I noticed, that the SyncBlocks (Status->CARP) got identical ID's and Blocks (thats good).

Then I cuted "LanLink" from the USERLAN. and all my connections where lost again.
    Here are the screenshots:

Here are the loss
    20191211_155907.jpg
    Master is left / Backup right
    20191211_155922.jpg
    "Backup-Device" ist master in USERLAN (Master is disconnected)
    20191211_155955.jpg
    Sync Konfig
    20191211_160023.jpg

Best regards
    Martin

• I meant a screenshot of the pfSense firewall log, which is showing the blocks. Status > System Logs > Firewall

On most systems you can take a screenshot by hitting the Print-key.

@mmichael said in HA Configuration, secundary Device blocks packets in recovery mode:

"Backup-Device" ist master in USERLAN (Master is disconnected)

When the master is offline, the backup must be master on all shared CARP interfaces, not only LAN.
    Seems there is a problem in CARP communication.
    Ensure that each CARP interface can talk to its partner.

• good morning,

first of all - thank you for your replys! I teststed again - but to be more precise here are some additional details:

• I activated Sync Status now on both devices
    • the messages about blocked V4 Packet didn't come again

So now - I guess there is (maybe) a missleading idea in my testcase or a missing function - I dont't know:

1. Case: Diconnecting USERLAN (Cutting cable):
    • Backup device went in Master State with Interface USERLAN
    • WAN Interface remains as BACKUP
    • Internet connection is losst and didn't return until the cable is plugt in again
    1. Case: Powering off the Master Device:
    • Backup device went in Master State with ALL Interfaces
    • Internet connection is working as expected

My guess is now - maybe the case of a "broken" cable is not covered of the pfsense HA Cluster? Or do I have to dig deeper and there is a missconfiguration on my site?

Best regards
    Martin