Problem with OpenVPN and Dynamic DNS



  • Some time ago I updated the equipment and switched from using pfsense version 2.3.6 develop i386 to version 2.4.5-RC (amd64).

    Found one drawback compared to the previous version.
    I have two ISPs and two WANs in failover mode. For each ISP, OpenVpn from ProtonVPN and an IPv6 tunnel from Hurrican Electric are used. Due to the limitation of one of the local ISPs, I have to use the following scheme:
    ISP1
    OpenVPN -> wan - vpn
    IPv6 -> wan - vpn - he
    ISP2
    OpenVPN -> wan2 - vpn2
    IPv6 -> wan2 - he2

    The problem is that for ISP1, if the router reboots or when the VPN provider changes the address, DynamicDNS will not automatically resolve the new VPN address and, accordingly, the IPv6 tunnel will not be created. I have to do it manually. There are two ways:

    1. Restart the openvpn service.
    2. On the "Services / Dynamic DNS / Dynamic DNS Clients / Edit" page, use "Save & Force Update".
      In previous versions 2.3.5 2.3.6 there was no such problem.

    I don’t know if this problem is related to another, namely: when pfsense is restarted in the console, I see the following messages

    Configuring loopback interface ... done.
    Creating wireless clone interfaces ... done.
    Configuring LAGG interfaces ... done.
    Configuring VLAN interfaces ... done.
    Configuring QinQ interfaces ... done.
    Configuring IPsec VTI interfaces ... done.
    Configuring WAN interface ... done.
    Configuring LAN interface ... done.
    Configuring WAN2 interface ... done.
    Configuring HE2 interface ... done.
    Configuring HE interface ... done.
    Configuring CARP settings ... done.
    Syncing OpenVPN settings ... done.
    route: writing to routing socket: Invalid argument
    route: writing to routing socket: Invalid argument

    Configuring firewall ...... done.
    Starting PFLOG ... done.
    Setting up gateway monitors ... done.
    Setting up static routes ... done.
    Setting up DNSs ...
    Starting DNS Resolver ... done.
    Synchronizing user settings ... done.
    Starting webConfigurator ... done.



  • Today I updated pfsense to the version "2.4.5-RC (amd64) built on Thu Feb 27 00:05:35 EST 2020" and the problem with Dynamic DNS is gone.

    Thanks!


Log in to reply