Tip - I solved my WiFi Calling issues

• I finally remembered that I meant to share this months ago when I discovered it, so here I am ...

I'll be succinct:

• I have all iPhones in the house, and WiFi calling was sporadic on all of them. It might work for a while, or only a few minutes, or never manage to negotiate the Wi-Fi calling connection at all
    • Two iPhones could never be on WiFi Calling at the same time
    • Providers are Rogers (x2) and Fido (x1)
    • pfSense 2.4 series, bone stock rules

The problem was the auto-generated ISAKMP rules. I turned them off:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 10.52.40 AM.png

Now WiFi Calling is perfect on any iOS device on my home network.

However, from the docs (https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/nat/static-port.html) ...
    Automatic Outbound NAT rules on the pfSense firewall will retain the source port for UDP 500 (ISAKMP for IPsec VPN traffic) by default because this traffic will almost always be broken by rewriting the source port.

So, your mileage may differ if you use IPsec for other than WiFi Calling. Behaviour may differ between providers, too.

Cheers!

• @tomk said in Tip - I solved my WiFi Calling issues:

I have all iPhones in the house

That's the problem. 😉

• I just started having wifi calling issues after upgrading to 2.4.5. I deleted the default isakmp rules a long time ago so I appear to be having a different issue. Are there any good resources on wifi calling that you know of to help me troubleshoot this issue?

• @nicheath

WiFi calling is VoIP encapsulated in IPSec, encapulated in UDP. So, your issues will be with passing IPSec/UDP.

• @nicheath said in Tip - I solved my WiFi Calling issues:

I just started having wifi calling issues after upgrading to 2.4.5. I deleted the default isakmp rules a long time ago so I appear to be having a different issue. Are there any good resources on wifi calling that you know of to help me troubleshoot this issue? prepaidcardstatus

I have same question and didn't get satisfied solution.

• @zaogrnutess

FWIW, I am also on Rogers and haven't noticed any problems. However, I have only one Android phone.