DNS Resolver "forgets" Domain Overrides from time to time

• Hello

I added a Domain Override for my local AD. So xxx.local to the IP of the AD. It all works, but randomly the DNS Resolver can not resolve xxx.local. Then I restart the DNS Resolver Service and all works again.

Any Ideas?

Edit:
    I'm using pfSense v2.4.5

• Hi,

When it happens again, before restarting the Resolver, check the file /etc/hosts
    Your DNS override should be there.
    And the Resolver primes from that file.

• This post is deleted!

• @Gertjan

It doesn't happened since I posted my question, but I took a look at the hosts file and I can't see any overwrite in there. See:

Content of hosts file (anonymized):

127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.example.com
    ::1     localhost localhost.example.com
    192.168.1.1    myfw.example.com myfw

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

When you you say you can not resolve your AD domain, the override is not listed in domain overrides?

domain overrides would not be in the /etc/hosts file, only host overrides would be there.

Domain overrides would be here

[2.4.5-RELEASE][admin@sg4860.local.lan]/var/unbound: cat domainoverrides.conf 
    forward-zone:
            name: "something.com"
            forward-addr: 192.168.9.44
    [2.4.5-RELEASE][admin@sg4860.local.lan]/var/unbound: 

• Strange.

I just check the manual : host overrides MUST be there.

Like these :
    71c35d92-5f75-4eeb-a38d-cf85e7e149ac-image.png

I found it in the /etc/hosts file like

10.0.0.2	ddwrt.brit-hotel-fumel.net ddwrt

All DHCP Static leases, and dynamic leases should be there also.

edit : host overrides - domain ovverride is something different, they go into the unbound config (didn't check).

That is not a "domain override" that is just a host entry.. Ie a host override..

Yeah all those would be in etc/hosts

• @johnpoz

If I go under Diagnostics->DNS Lookup normally it resolves fine:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-06 um 18.31.58 PM.png

But from time to time something happens and the domain couldn't be resolved anymore. Then in DNS Lookup:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-06 um 18.32.18 PM.png

Then if I restart the DNS Resolver Service it directly works again.

Currently it works and I can see it also in the domainoverrides.conf

your using .local - yeah that not a good idea at all! Apple screwed the pooch for doing that long time ago..

• @johnpoz Okay thx for the info. I'll fix this and hope that this is somehow related to my problem.

When they came out with RFC 6762, and using .local for mdns stuff - not a good idea to use that for your local dns names. I would stay away from any single label as well to be honest.

Using something like lan.localdomain if you want.. something.tld is best.. In a perfect world you wold own actual domain, just not use it on the public side.. Or just use something that is unlikely ever going to be a public tld..

I use local.lan - since I find it very very unlikely that .lan will ever be a public .tld

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

RFC 8375 sets aside .home.arpa for this kind of use, which is what everyone should be migrating to eventually (unless you have a real domain)