[Bug] Cosmetic but Annoying: Queue Status page [Solved? Need a Guru to look]
I really like pfSense, and have just rebuilt my old router and put it back in the loop after having to deal with DD-WRT on a linksys 350N for the past 3 months… I came from 1.01, so the new 1.2.3rc was quite a nice surprise. Some of the things I used from packages are included default now! But... I noticed something wacky:
I've got an issue where the Traffic Shaping Queue status page is displaying multiple copies of the same queues. It doesn't seem to affect the firewall in any way. I've searched for this bug on the forums, and the only response I saw about it was someone saying "It's just cosmetic, ignore it."
I can accept that it is indeed just cosmetic, but its annoying. >:( I'm trying to figure out how to get the traffic shaping rules just the way I want them, and I can't see all of the queues without scrolling back and forth. The 'dupe' queues do not display traffic, and they happen to be in the middle. (Yay for Murphy's Law! Why couldn't they be at the end??? I wouldn't care, then.)
I tried turning off/on the shaper, tried reloading from the wizard, even tried a fresh pfSense install. Nothing clears this up though -- even the shaping wizard's queues have this bug.
Is there a file I can edit (and please explain how to do so, I'm not anywhere near a guru, esp with *nix) to fix this? I'd imagine with my limited knowledge of things that there would be some php file that is loaded with the incorrect information in it, that I could simply edit to correct. I'm just not sure which one :(
I appreciate the help, in advance!
[Edit] Oh yeah, I just recalled reading in one of those posts to use PFtop on the router box and pressing "8" to see the queues real-time… but when I try this the "8" key does nothing at all. I looked at the other ones, and none of those look like queue information either :'(
So does anyone know how I can get RRD whipped back into shape? I've tried the approach from another thread of stopping RRD, deleting the .rdd files, then restarting RRD. I get the graphs back, but the queue status graphs are still not showing any data. It's almost like RRD isn't collecting the data anymore…?
Okay… after some more testing, here goes. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
It seems that what breaks the RRD graphs is when I put in rules to shape the OPT1 interface. It also seems to cause the odd bug with the queue status page as well.
Odd thing is, that even though traffic shaping from what I'm reading does not work on multiple interfaces, it still seems to be working, as without the added rule, all OPT1 traffic goes to the default queues, which kinda makes shaping not work well for what I'm wanting to do.
So, the odd thing is that I'm reading that pfSense's traffic shaper does not support shaping over more than LAN/WAN interfaces, but if what I'm looking at is right, then it indeed does work, but it just screws up the queue status page and the RRD graphs.
Considering I may just be reading things incorrectly, can anyone confirm/deny this??
I think I might have figured out what was going on with the queue status page. Now, I'm not a guru, nor do I have a lot of experience and knowledge, but I can think fairly logically, and I've been muddling over the problem here and there throughout the week, and I think I figured it out.
When we make a rule that includes another interface, I think the queues are being duplicated which would use that interface. Would kinda make sense the way I was thinking about it, and would explain the oddity on the queue status page, and may explain somewhat why the RRD graphs are broken.
What is killing me is that if what I'm seeing is correct, the traffic is entering the queue that it is supposed to when I make a few rules to shape traffic and go downloading/browsing to test it. I'm just not sure if the queues are being duplicated, or halved, or what. Haven't really gotten that far.
Since Ermal seems to be the traffic shaping god-person here, hopefully he'll read this. For now though, I figured my work-around was to put another box in front of the normal router with just the basic stuff, the port-forwards, and traffic shaping – then use the 'real' router to route the traffic where it should go. Would really love to eliminate the extra box though, as I'm running out of room to stuff extra junk :P