My ISP provides a symmetrical 1Gbps line and I am unable to utilize the full speed. I know there can be a number of causes for such an issue, but I feel like I should be seeing different results based on the tests I've done.
All of tests below have been tested individually on MikroTik gear, pfSense, the ISP provided modem and a media converter (ISP uses SFP cable, which can be plugged into a media converter for a direct RJ-45 connection with no internal routing) and all results are nearly identical.
List of tests:
[i]1.) iPerf3 tests (run on several different systems using wired connections) to several of my own external web servers with known 1Gbps lines burt at ~300Mbps and within seconds drops to ~100Mbps and stays there. I did test this web server from several other locations and do see approximate 1Gbps speeds. All servers are on different hosting providers.
[i]2.) iPerf3 to AWS instance with 10Gbps network, setup specifically for debuging this issue, shows exact same results as above (burst to 300, drop to 100)
[i]3.) Downloading a single ISO file from a debian mirror shows between ~100Mbps. If I download the same ISO from several different hosts at the same time I can achieve the full 1Gbps speed.
[i]4.) Speed tests at fast.com and speedtest.net (using the ISPs own test server) show 1Gbps.
It seems that no matter the speed of the host I connect to, the maximum speed will be ~100mbps.
I realize this is not specifically a pfSense issue, as I've removed it and still see the same results, but I am really hoping that someone may have some input here. I've contacted the ISP and their technitions point to the speedtest results being fine.