Upgrade from 2.3.2 to 2.4.5_1 (KERNEL failure during boot trap 12)

• Upgraded our PFSENSE this morning (server has been running for atleast a year) and server did not want to boot at all, hinting at a kernel failure. I am able to (thankfully) boot from kernel.old but as this kernel will also be replaced with a newer kernel in the future I would like to just understand what's happening.

Took a screengrab of the output:

d02e58cb-98f9-4e24-a9a4-0ce3a0aef97e-image.png

Worth noting it's a Dell 2950 we've repurposed as a firewall so not excluding an older CPU, but surely a kernel should still allow booting on older CPU's? Any ideas or workarounds? I will attempt to make a copy of the kernel.old so that we have something to atleast always boot from should this happen again in the future

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

Not enough information there to say for sure. You could run bt at the prompt to get a backtrace which may help but honestly at this point your safest option would be to install 2.4.5-p1 directly on top and recover the config.

• LAYER 8 Moderator

but surely a kernel should still allow booting on older CPU's?

Depends, as a server I'd assume that is a 64bit capable CPU? Was 2.3.x installed in 64bit already?

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

If it wasn't 64-bit it couldn't even have made it that far, it would have had an exec format error much earlier in the boot process before loading the kernel.