DNS forward issue
I have a strange issue with my dns resolver
My setup is as follow :
Servers interface --> Active directory / DNS forward to PFSENSE -> PFSENSE DNS Resolver forward to my ISP DNS.
in this setup, every server has DNS resolver OK. But there will be a moment where PFSENSE stops forwarding to my isp, permanently, until i reboot pfsense.
I use the DNS resolver, not the forwarder, and in the resolver i use the forwarder mode.
i listen on all interface, and out to all. I just tried to listen to lan/localhost and out to carp wan, with no more luck
I can see when having the issue:
- no DNS Block in pfsense
- dns requests states from servers to my AD (ok)
- Dns requests states from the AD to the pfsense lan interface (ok). The states are MULTIPLE:MULTIPLE, with traffic ko in both ways
- no dns request to the isp dns ip (ko)
- nslookup google.fr on my pfsense LAN ip (master or slave) or on the CARP ip, from one of my server : KO
- nslookup google.FR on my isp ip from one of my server : OK
- I have NO stats in the DNS resolver Status on the primary pfsense (nothing written in cache speed and cache stats), and i have some stats on the slave .
I have tried to :
- restart the DNS resolver, still having the issue
- dns lookup through the webui : I have an answer from my ISP, it is ok (my pfsense is set up to use the DNS RESOLVER itself)
- read the resolver log : i do not see anything i ask in my log (ie : nslookup google.com --> no google.com found in log). I only see the requests done through the ui
The only way to make it ok, is to restart the pfsense.
Please note, i have an AD in 2 node, and a CARP Pfsense setup. My dns settings are default, except the forward mode ticked.
would someone have an idea to point me something to investigate ?
appreciate your time,