PFS ON RAID 10

• i get some new hardware and playing little bit with pfs, and get to the problem

I have
    main board with raid controller
    2x 2gb ddr2
    4x 500gb SATA hdd
    5x 1gbps nics

i want to build hi cache proxy server with 500gb web cache

so, i build RAID 10 (mirror stripped)
    and trying to install PFS, but when loading cd it just stops, get me to shell
    mountroot>

and thats it

it seems that pfs can not see raid, is it drivers error in PFS (missing drivers), or something else? I dont think that im doing something wrong?

thanks

• i could be completely wrong on any or all of these point but..

i believe BSD, like linux, does not see or ignores fakeRAID http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

some advocate JBOD over RAID0 due to the nature of the disk access http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/RAID

is it necessary to have dynamic/temporary and otherwise useless data like web caches be fault tolerant? at the cost of 2x500GB HDDs? considering also the point about JBOD and performance you may want to reassess

i am by no means an expert on any of these matters so i strongly urge you to wait for someone more experienced to reply, or to do your own research. hope the links help.

• I agree with Sentofuno.  Buy you a RAID controller supported by FreeBSD.  That should help.  Raid 5 should give you enough performance.  Raid 10 there is going to be two mirrored pairs.  There is going to alot of IO.  I would go with more disks to give higher performance.  You can go with as 3ware 9650SE-8LPML 8 Port Serial ATA RAID Controller (ebay (112 US dollars) or3ware 64 bit controller both conbe found on  ebay.

Look there.
    RC

• thanks guys for your replys,
    i didn catch much time to play with it yesterday, but i get to the point when change in BIOS RAID controller to AHCI, then PFS can see 4 disks and raid array??? :D

ok, a make install to raid array, and installed boot blocks (tried 6 times, to first, second, *, *, to all, and only to raid, it returns error that cannot install, and success was only when selected first disk), but when PFS starts to boot it stops and write error:
    F1 pfSense
    F5 Drive 1

Default F1:
    Not ufs
    Not ufs

No /boot /loader

pfSsense/i386 boot
    default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
    boot:
    Not ufs
    No /boot/kernel/kernel

???

any ideas
    thanks

• You where tryng that with a software raid.  I would actually get a raid controller that is support by freebsd and connect the disks to that controller.  It would be much faster at that point.  Also if a drive should fail the controller is going to be making a beeping sound and you connect to the bios of the controller and see exactly which disk has failed.

Software RAID is much sower in comparision to hardware RAID.
    RC