Squid Install Question

• Hi all

I new to the world of FreeBSD and pfSense so have a feeling I may get flamed for asking stupid questions.

Anyway, I am testing pfSense to see if it meets a needs of one of our service groups (looks like it will quite well).  As part of the test I am looking to install Squid and some of it's other utilities.  When I use the package installer from the web interface i get the message:-

_Downloading package configuration file… done.
    Saving updated package information... done.
    Downloading squid and its dependencies... done.
    Checking for successful package installation... failed!

Installation aborted._

Using the forums I have managed to work out how to do a manual install from the console "pkg_add -r squid" which seemed to go well.  I ran "squid -z" to create the cache folders and agaian all seems well.

The main querry I have is shoudl there be a item in the services menu to configure squid?  If so I assume that this is not added when you do a manuall install.  If so is there a way of adding this or will I need to do all the configuration through config files?

Any help would be appretiated.

• I would try re-installing the pkg thru the gui or rebooting your pf and try again. I just re-downloaded Snort a little while ago and that went fine.

• Just tried that.  Did a reboot and reinstall from Gui and same message.  I also tried Snort which again gave me the same error.

• You can always reinstall pfsense but this time install only pfsense package.

If you like to Dig. System logs is a good place to start. then try run @ console squid -Nd1 squid will show you the error

• Managed to sort it.  As this is a test system I have been playing with it plugged into a 2Wire Adsl router.  Turns out the 2wires content filter had been switched on and was blocking access to the packages for download.

Cheers for all the help.