• New to pfSense and PIMD. Have Data and Sonos VLANs and Admin not as VLAN. Objective is to have phones on Data and Sonos system on Sonos. Ethernet connection to Sonos Boost is only link, but Boost and speakers all have IP addresses.
    History of frustration: Started with Unifi USG and JSON file which worked, but only sporatically. Moved to Untangle which has no support if IGMP, so put phones on Sonos network. Decided to give pfSense a try as a virtual machine, using version 2.4.5-p1. Turned on IGMP, moved phone to Data net, and Sonos worked like a charm. I was estatic and decided to load pfSense on hardware where Untangle had been, but I installed 2.5.0. Turned on IGMP and Sonos can't be found from Data net. Enough venting.
    Search led to PIMD. Installed package, but have no idea how to set it up. Enabled, selected Bind to All, Selected Data and Sonos as interfaces. BSR Candidates are Sonos, Data and Admin, with priorities 1,2,3, respectively. RP Candidates are the same three with the same priorities. Doesn't work.
    I don't understand BSR or RP. Any help would be appreciated.

• I should have added that I have new firewall rules passing both PIM and IGMP protocols on both the Data and Sonos networks, in each case with "Allow IP options" checked.

• I had a similar problem when using my Chromecasts and looking around it was a familiar issue with Sonos users as well.

My search lead me to this: udpbroadcastrelay and it is simple and easy to use.

There is currently no Package for it, but someone has raised a feature request for it.

If you want to stick with a "package" you could also try Avahi which is much simplier than PIMD.

Hope this is of some help.

Girkers

• Girkers, thanks for mentioning Avahi. I had already tried that and it hadn't worked, so I disabled that to try PIMD. Your suggestion caused me to revisit Avahi. It didn't initially work, but this time I had more patience. It did work after 30 seconds or so. I guess I was just too impatient the first time.

• Oh great. I killed the firewall rules to see if they were necessary with Avahi, and it stopped working. I added them back in and it's still not working. Talk about fickle.

• @stan

I was not getting great satisfaction from Avahi either and that is why I eventually went to udbroadcastrealy, it is simply and works.

With my firewall rules I turn on logging and you can actually see it working.

Have a look at this post as it has a binary to try: https://forum.netgate.com/post/936902

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers,

Girkers

• Girkers, thanks for your continuing support. I hope you're having a happy Christmas Day. My day is made happier because Sonos is working across networks again. I decided to take a look at my Unifi networks and access points. I made sure that the access points had Multicast Enhancement turned on and that the relevant networks had IGMP Snooping turned on. I made one change, and I can't remember for sure what it was, but it might have been Multicast Enhancement on one of the access points. It's now working with Avahi. So I wanted to leave this information available to anyone who stumbles across this post.
    I plan to disable the new firewall rules one-by-one to see what breaks it, so I may be back. But I now feel more confident that I can recover if I break something.

• Spoke too soon. It quit working before I had a chance to make any configuration changes. Fickle.

• @stan said in PIMD configuration help:

Spoke too soon. It quit working before I had a chance to make any configuration changes. Fickle.

I would also recommend giving udpbroadcastrelay a try, it's fairly straightforward to setup (less complexity than PIMD). I don't think Sonos will work with just Avahi. Hope this helps.

• Girkers and tman222, thanks again for your help and suggestions. I was about to go down the "upbroadcastrelay" route when I decided to reboot pfSense. Rebooting was the important step that I neglected to do before.

For anyone interested in the details, I have a lot of ports open from my Sonos net to my secure net. See https://forum.netgate.com/topic/139218/sonos-speakers-and-applications-on-different-subnets-vlan-s/176. Check June 21, 2020 from BCinBC. I plan to begin closing ports to see how far I can get before breaking the solution.

I'm using PIMD: General tab, bind to all and everything else default; Interfaces tab, disable unwanted nets; BSR Candidates, default priority 5; RP Candidates, default priority 20; RP Addresses, none. Seven groups active in Status.

I'll probably change the General tab to bind to none and enable desired interfaces. Also, I added the 5 and 20 priorities during my lengthy journeys, but I'll probably delete them. Avahi is enabled, but I doubt that it's providing any benefit. I may try disabling it.

Final (I hope) word. After setting up PIMD, remember to reboot pfSense.

• Final addendum: I made the changes suggested above, i.e., changed PIMD General tab to bind to none and on Interfaces tab enabled desired nets, and removed priorities from BSR Candidates and RP Candidates tabs. In addition, I disabled my firewall rules for the Sonos TCP and UDP ports.

The Sonos app still works, even after closing it in iOS and re-opening it. (Not sure I'd have the same result for a new installation of the Sonos app.)

I also disabled Avahi. So I seem to be relying only on PIMD.