Routing public subnet with ping
jonnytabpni last edited by
My WAN connection (Which is PPPoE) gets a block of 16 IP addresses (A /28 network).
What I have been doing the past while is using Proxy ARP VIP's and using portforwarding to my internal LAN hosts for the services that I want.
Now, what I also like would be to have a seperate subnet that I can assign static IP's to the actual hosts themselves. I have nearly got this working:
- I created a VLAN (As I dont have a space NIC) and assigned a new interface to the VLAN (Called PublicSubnet)
- I gave a public IP to PublicSubnet if's address on pfsense
- I disabled outgoing NAT for the PublicSubnet interface and subnet
- In the firewall rules, I set an allow all rules to a destination set to my /28 network
- I gave my hosts (which reside inside PublicSubnet) a public IP and set the default gateway to the IP set in 2)
Now, the above really does work (e.g. remote hosts can access a web server running on one of the hosts) however, PING doesn't work…
Does anyone have any idea why not??
Also, can someone please confirm that I am doing the correct setup? Is step 4) correct? (If I didn't do this, remote hosts couldn't access the hosts inside PublicSubnet)