Stuck beacon



  • OK so I just got the wireless working on my Firebox x700 using an Atheros based card (TL-WN861N)

    After setting it up I get the following on the console:

    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 5501 usec to 5177 usec for pid 25461 (getty)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 752 usec to 707 usec for pid 11878 (minicron)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 755 usec to 711 usec for pid 11632 (minicron)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 2523 usec to 2374 usec for pid 3440 (sleep)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 4391 usec to 4252 usec for pid 59016 (cron)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 11072 usec to 10421 usec for pid 54791 (sh)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 960182 usec to 903701 usec for pid 54791 (sh)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 3790 usec to 3567 usec for pid 50644 (dhcpd)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 379 usec to 356 usec for pid 27157 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 321 usec to 302 usec for pid 26994 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 417 usec to 393 usec for pid 25378 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 380 usec to 358 usec for pid 25349 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 495 usec to 465 usec for pid 25244 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 76478 usec to 71979 usec for pid 25105 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 74810 usec to 70409 usec for pid 24554 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 734 usec to 691 usec for pid 24501 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 544 usec to 512 usec for pid 24499 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 536 usec to 505 usec for pid 24202 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 72438 usec to 68177 usec for pid 23895 (php)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 5448 usec to 5127 usec for pid 13955 (inetd)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 1511 usec to 1422 usec for pid 141 (devd)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 7029 usec to 6616 usec for pid 141 (devd)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 98784 usec to 95138 usec for pid 34 (md1)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 2935 usec to 2762 usec for pid 28 (md0)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 2731506 usec to 2699518 usec for pid 11 (intr)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 62849 usec to 59261 usec for pid 1 (init)
    calcru: runtime went backwards from 5033580 usec to 4738543 usec for pid 1 (init)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)
    ath0: stuck beacon; resetting (bmiss count 4)

    I did some searching and it looks like this can be caused by a slow system not keeping up to the time the card wants to send out SSID beacons,  I found the following settings that is reported to work:

    _In /boot/loader.conf :
    if_ath_load="YES"

    In /etc/rc.conf :
    defaultrouter="192.168.11.1"
    hostname="arwen.nagual.st"
    ifconfig_re0="inet 192.168.11.29 netmask 255.255.255.0"
    ifconfig_ath0="mediaopt hostap ssid air22"
    cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
    ifconfig_bridge0="addm re0 addm ath0"_

    Question I have is where in the nano version are these files and is there any way to edit this using the WebGUI?



  • Those settings have nothing to do with what you are after, though you can set those settings from the GUI.



  • @ermal:

    Those settings have nothing to do with what you are after, though you can set those settings from the GUI.

    I thought that this looks like just what can be set from the Interfaces tab in the GUI, but thought I'd ask.  Everything seems to working OK except for the errors when I use the 802.11g mode,  I haven't been able to get the 802.11ng mode to work yet.

    On a side note: After I get an out put of one of the beacon errors to the console I can then log in and get to the console menu.  Before any output to the console  it has no response after the "Bootup complete" message



  • In my experience, sometimes the Atheros cards seem to kind of need some "calibration" time or something like that.  Combinations of tests with trying different channels and/or rebooting (not necessarily in that sequence) might possibly help it fix itself quicker.  Might also want to try adjusting your antennas.  Both cards I've used did this and in both cases it eventually went away and didn't come back even after rebooting or power cycling.

    Currently the 802.11ng mode and 802.11na mode (not available on your card, since it doesn't support 5 GHz channels) do not support 802.11n rates, even if you do get it to function in 802.11n mode.


Log in to reply