Embedded vs normal Kernel?

• What are the biggest differences between the embedded kernel and full kernel on a NORMAL installation, not using the nanobsd image?  Is it still possible to switch between them?  It's been awhile since I tried.

What I would like to do is use a normal install so I have all packages available to me, but use the embedded kernel for it's normal runtime.

What I would like to accomplish is to limit the writes of the logs to memory instead of disk.  I don't care about losing logs on a reboot.  Is this the way to go about that??

• @valnar:

What I would like to accomplish is to limit the writes of the logs to memory instead of disk.  I don't care about losing logs on a reboot.

That is controlled by the scripts, that are written for the nano version, not the kernel.

@valnar:

Is this the way to go about that??

No, you need to use the nano version.

Cheers.

• @EddieA:

No, you need to use the nano version.

Cheers.

What controls whether a given package works with a particular pfSense installation?  The fact it's running on the regular or Nano version?

• The distinction is whether or not the package would run appropriately on a CF card, with limited resources.  There are a number of packages which are simply not appropriate for the limited environment of an embedded board.

• Thank you.  One more question then.

What is the intended purpose of the embedded kernel on a Full install?

• There are people who want to run a full install on an embedded system.  Typically these are people who've put microdrives into embedded systems instead of using flash.