PPPoE server status?



  • Can somebody tell me the status of the PPPoE server in 2.0?

    My test client gets an IP address (actually, the network address if I don't specify, so I do specify), but I cannot ping the gateway (pfsense). In fact, I cannot even get a response with arping. Pfsense shows an entry for the pppoed0 gateway in the routing table, but it does not have an entry for the pppoe server gateway address in its own arp table.

    As far as I can tell, the ppoe server is establishing client connections but is not creating itself an interface to interact with them. Additionally, it is giving out the network address as a dynamic IP.

    Are these known issues? Any ETA on a fix?

    Thanks.

    edit: I'm using:

    2.0-BETA2
    built on Mon May 31 18:47:04 EDT 2010
    FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE
    nanobsd (2g)


  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    You may very well be the first person to try it; It isn't a widely used feature.

    I thought once you turned it on, it setup a tab on Firewall > Rules where you need to setup rules, or at least an any/any rule.

    I do know that the PPTP server does not work, so it's possible that the PPPoE server is suffering the same fate since they both use mpd. There's a patch that needs to make it into FreeBSD to fix that issue and we can pick it up from there, or add it as a custom patch if it doesn't make it in.



  • Enabling the server did create a firewall interface and I did create a pass rule for that subnet, but I think the packets die before they ever see the firewall, as I don't see any actual evidence that the pppoed interface even exists in pfsense.

    As for mpd, I'm using a test package for mlppp, and it's possible that package added its own mpd. I'll have to check into that.


  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    PPTP has the same symptoms, clients connect but pass no traffic. It's probably the same issue.

    The interface for PPPoE server/clients does not normally exist in pfSense in a directly usable way. The firewall rules go on the PPPoE tab but you don't assign anything directly to it. At least that's how it worked in 1.2.3



  • Last I checked, some parts of pfSense 2.0 are using mpd4 and some are using mpd5.  It may have been that the clients use mpd5 and the servers are still using mpd4.



  • Try latest snapshot and please report if it fixes the issue.



  • Fixed in Fri Jun 4 13:37:20 EDT 2010 nanobsd update. I now have internet access from a pppoe client. There are other issues, but I'll open another thread.


Locked